Colorado hunting ??

Wgrobb

FNG
Hi all. In the picture below you see a trail or road in Colorado back country. Is it legal to just park anywhere there and hike back in or do you need to park at trail heads or designated parking areas

Attachments

• Screenshot (10)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (10)_LI.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
On most government land, you can pull over anywhere that doesn’t impede traffic.

It will be fairly obvious where these spots are when you’re there.

CoHiCntry

WKR
More than likely you can just park anywhere off the road. You might want to be sure though if it's somewhere on the front range. More and more restrictions are popping up all the time and certain areas you can only park in designated spots.

You also need to get a USFS layer that says what maintenance level the road is. Level 1 is likely not passable by a truck. Level 2 will be fine with a truck/suv but usually are rough and you can only go a few miles an hour. 4x4 will be required if it it is wet weather. Level 3 and 4 are usually nice gravel roads that any vehicle can use.

OP
W

Wgrobb

FNG
You also need to get a USFS layer that says what maintenance level the road is. Level 1 is likely not passable by a truck. Level 2 will be fine with a truck/suv but usually are rough and you can only go a few miles an hour. 4x4 will be required if it it is wet weather. Level 3 and 4 are usually nice gravel roads that any vehicle can use.
Is that in OnX?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
Another thing to consider if the trail /dirt road starts or crosses private property before your planned destination on public land, chances are you won’t be able to access it. Some FS rods will have a marked easement across private, but I’ve also come to dead ends where the landowner gates it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
You might just name the road? Someone on here might be familiar with it & be able to help you out.

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all. In the picture below you see a trail or road in Colorado back country. Is it legal to just park anywhere there and hike back in or do you need to park at trail heads or designated parking areas
This was a great question as it has produced many replies that are helpful. Thanks for asking.

OP
W

Wgrobb

FNG
You might just name the road? Someone on here might be familiar with it & be able to help you out.
no clue what it was called or where it was. i just did a random screenshot off of OnX. I just didnt want someone getting upset i gave away their favorite spot.

def90

WKR
In general if it is a public road on public land you can stop and park anywhere that is safe. Some county roads will have standard no-parking signage if parking is not allowed. Be aware of where you park if the vegetation is dry, you don't want to park in long dry grass and start a fire.