colorado: if i wanted to pack a .22 or an air rifle with me on my mule deer hunt

Marble

WKR
I've got an aluminum framed .22 Pistol I've carried there for years. Killed tons of grouse with it.

It's totally legal. Just have to be choose when you actually use it because the more gun shots the animals hear...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Imo the subsonic rounds don't have enough oomph. I would rather load it with .22 super extra shorts and have a little pop. Shouldn't spook all the game off the mountain any worse than your spike camp

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
This all sounds like fun, but I’ve hunted deer and/or elk in a couple of units in Colorado where I haven’t seen a single grouse the entire hunt. And I’m not interested in eating squirrels.
I’d rather pack a couple small game heads for flinging arrows at the occasional small game critter than pack a 22 all week that never gets used. YMMV.

Marble

WKR
This all sounds like fun, but I’ve hunted deer and/or elk in a couple of units in Colorado where I haven’t seen a single grouse the entire hunt. And I’m not interested in eating squirrels.
I’d rather pack a couple small game heads for flinging arrows at the occasional small game critter than pack a 22 all week that never gets used. YMMV.
I sometimes see a couple dozen in a day...guess it matters where you're at. Probably altitude too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
Imo the subsonic rounds don't have enough oomph. I would rather load it with .22 super extra shorts and have a little pop. Shouldn't spook all the game off the mountain any worse than your spike camp
I agree. I lost a couple grouse using Aguila super quiet shorts. Switched to cci's and had much better luck.

I agree. I lost a couple grouse using Aguila super quiet shorts. Switched to cci's and had much better luck.
Yea I shot a grey squirrel in the ribs and watched it die for 5 minutes..... not too impressed with em except for the neat little pop.. and those spruce grouse are fairly large critters, even q regular 22 short would be better

sram9102

WKR
What 22 subsonics are you guys using that you don't think have enough power for small game? I've shot plenty of squirrels in the 75 to 125 range and they die just as quick as the sub 50 yard ones? Are you using the 700fps rounds that aguila puts out?

rclouse79

WKR
I have carried a sling shot with me during archery season. I ended up killing a squirrel and eating it a couple seasons ago. Didn't seem worth taking its life for a bite of meat. A grouse on the other hand is another story. I would much rather lob a steel ball up into a tree than an expensive arrow. I got surprisingly accurate with a little practice. I would say I was hitting a tin can over half the time from 20 yards. It would also be much easier and lighter to pack without a big boom to scare away animals you are hunting.

OP
gigandet642016
you dont think a subsonic could drop rabbit or grouse under 20 yards?

OP
gigandet642016
What 22 subsonics are you guys using that you don't think have enough power for small game? I've shot plenty of squirrels in the 75 to 125 range and they die just as quick as the sub 50 yard ones? Are you using the 700fps rounds that aguila puts out?
you are dropping squirrels from 125 yards? thats some good shooting lol

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot cottontails all the time with Remington subsonic hollow points. I’ve never had an issue with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mini mags are sweet, but I really love the CCI Stingers. I actually got lucky and nabbed 500 rounds this winter. I'd be confident in taking a Coyote or coon with them