Colorado Landowner Tag Rules

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Totally ignorant here. How does a land owner get land owner tags in Colorado? Is there an acreage minimum? Does it vary from unit to unit? I have friends in CO. Where do they go for answers? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
They own land outside of Aguilar, CO

This is where you need to start reading on the Landowner Preference Program. Need to qualify the property then apply to be admitted to the program

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you. I knew it wouldn’t take long. Rokslide has this stuff dialed. Thanks

If the land is west of I-25 near Aguilar it’s probably unit 85? Only Deer vouchers would be eligible if they qualify on acreage (160 minimum) and the rest of the rules. Elk and pronghorn have OTC options so no Landowner tags available?

Scoutman

FNG
Contact John Flier with Landowner program, he can guide you step by step.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perfect. Thank you all

I am a farmer in Colorado, east of Denver on the plains. I don't own the land, my family does. But I help manage the land owner tags for our family. First of all, Scoutman is right, John Flier is the man that manages all of the land owner tag for the state. Every time i have talked with him, he has been really helpful. I can tell you that the minimum acreage is 160 for one tag, which is a quarter of a section (a section is a square mile of land or 640 acres). They can get a little picky on the acreage, my aunt owns a quarter that is 157 acres and they denied her a tag. The land owner or entity that controls the land applies for a tag through the old fashioned paper application. The deadline is the same as normal big game draw for everyone else, April 6th this year. It also cost the same for each application, $7. The land has to be enrolled and registered with the state for the land owner preference point program. John can walk you through how to do that, but you will need the exact legals on the ground. Once you have it all set up, the land basically acts as an individual, if you don't draw your first choice you get a preference point. Oh and I forgot to mention, the tag is only for the unit in which the land resides. If you draw a tag, it comes in the form of a voucher, which then you have to go down to CO parks and wildlife office or any where tags are sold and pay for the actual tag. Hope this helps.

cnelk

WKR
Just to add:
The hunter doesnt necessarily have to hunt on the said land of the owner of the voucher. It is valid unit wide - like Rky Mtn Farmer mentioned

Just to add:
The hunter doesnt necessarily have to hunt on the said land of the owner of the voucher. It is valid unit wide - like Rky Mtn Farmer mentioned
There are actually 2 types of vouchers- Unit wide to include Public land, and PLO- private land only. As mentioned the private land only does not have to be the parcel for which the voucher was issued, it can be any private land within the unit/units for the hunt code on the tag. You will have the option to decide which type of voucher to put in for. PLO usually is easier to draw, and can sometimes be a 2nd choice (not use a point).

The rules state that the hunter using the voucher gets access to the land it was issued for. This gets a bit sticky (against the rules) when dealing with "brokers" 3rd party facilitators who sell vouchers. Generally they don't want you to know the landowner because you can buy direct next time and cut out their fee 😆. So they may not even tell you where the land is! Part of the price usually involves you actually expecting access to the property or not! sort of a verbal deal, and if you don't agree, then they won't sell you the voucher. if you are dealing with close friends its usually easy, unless they figure out they can make a lot of money off of the vouchers!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The rules state that the hunter using the voucher gets access to the land it was issued for. This gets a bit sticky (against the rules) when dealing with "brokers" 3rd party facilitators who sell vouchers. Generally they don't want you to know the landowner because you can buy direct next time and cut out their fee 😆.
Using brokers in CO is illegal for landowner vouchers.

Using brokers in CO is illegal for landowner vouchers.
Happens all the time. I can show you many websites listing them. Easy ways around the rules. Basically the rule says the land owner/ manager has to directly transfer the voucher to the hunter. The “3rd party “ can find a hunter, tell the Owner the name to put on the voucher and address to mail it directly and still be within the law. They can facilitate the money transfer as well and get their cut, and keep the hunter from direct contact with the Owner etc. Also if you demand all that info they can just say sorry, the Owner doesn’t want to sell you the voucher 😂.

Same if they don’t want you actually hunting their property (which is illegal but happens, Pretty impossible to enforce during a hunting season since you would have to go to court- which could take years! and they would still have rights to severely limit your access)

Some “brokers” have strong connections to Owners and are not worried about them selling direct to hunters or through other “brokers”. These can have access to the property etc.

Just sharing what I have seen over the years with the Landowner vouchers. Lucky enough To know some Landowners personally.

VainCope

FNG
I was unsuccessful in the draw for mule deer. Does anyone know someone that I could get in touch with that has unit wide vouchers west of I-25 that aren't going to break your wallet from the price? I need a rifle voucher, preferably 1st, 3rd or 4th rifle season. I drew my 1st choice bull tag this year so I'm good on the elk part.

Wags

WKR
I didn't say it doesn't happen, I just pointed out that it is illegal. Buyer beware.

You can use an agency to sell your voucher, there are rules around it though. John broke it down for me when I spoke with him. It's all in how they charge for the service. I've always just sold them myself. I may have a CO #rd rifle deer voucher for sell this year that I may post on here. I do it that way because I can control it. My neighbor uses a service and likes not having to deal with it at all.

Wags

WKR
I was unsuccessful in the draw for mule deer. Does anyone know someone that I could get in touch with that has unit wide vouchers west of I-25 that aren't going to break your wallet from the price? I need a rifle voucher, preferably 1st, 3rd or 4th rifle season. I drew my 1st choice bull tag this year so I'm good on the elk part.

Price will vary from unit to unit and by season. You can look on huntersdomain and see if there's a tag for a price you are willing to pay.