Colorado Late October Recommendation

Ryno

FNG
I am trying to figure out my system. I am trying to keep it affordable as there is a ton of gear to buy for my first backpack hunt. I am hoping to backpack 5 days or so (depending on how it goes) in Colorado Late October 2nd rifle. I picked up a Sitka 90% Jacket on Camofire, but am wondering if I need it now. I have a Gortex Scentlok Coat and Pants Hardshell that serves me well whitetail hunting in Ohio. I was originally going to replace them but not sure I need to. If I go with Merino base layers which I need to buy, then add my Kryptek Sherpa Hoodie, do I take the Sitka 90% Jacket along with some kind of Puffy Jacket and forget about the Scentlok? Or am I better off to take some kind of puffy to use with my current Scentlok Hardshell and ditch the 90% jacket? Same question on the bottom, if I get some sort of insulation layer (Kuiu Kenai Zip Offs on sale?) to put over the Merino base, will I be good with my Scentlok Bottoms? Or should I pick up so Sitka 90% Bottoms or something equivalent? I appreciate any help I can get, its pretty nerve racking trying to make sure I have enough gear and the right stuff, without obviously hauling way too much in. Thanks in advance.

Poser

WKR
The ScentLok stuff is heavy and not very packable. I also would not want to be wearing goretex when on the move in Oct.

I would bring a puffy for sure, but be prepared for some hot afternoons. The general Rockslide consensus is wool + rain gear + puffy. You'll almost never be on the move in a jacket unless it is raining or really high winds. If you are cold when sitting still, put your puffy on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ryno

Ryno

FNG
The ScentLok stuff is heavy and not very packable. I also would not want to be wearing goretex when on the move in Oct.

I would bring a puffy for sure, but be prepared for some hot afternoons. The general Rockslide consensus is wool + rain gear + puffy. You'll almost never be on the move in a jacket unless it is raining or really high winds. If you are cold when sitting still, put your puffy on.

Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that any precipitation in late October would be snow and rain gear is not needed?

Poser

WKR
Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that any precipitation in late October would be snow and rain gear is not needed?

Depends on the elevation and year. We had rain in January this year at 6500.

rayporter

WKR
never be out of reach or your rain gear. rain is likely at some point.

you can usually hunt the second season with what ever would work for a cold ohio dear season. some years it is colder and some warmer.