Colorado Leftover List

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
What time did the site allow you to "get in line"??? Yesterday the site said you couldn't log in before 9MT. I went to the site to show my buddy where to go and got in line about 8:42mt. Didn't get shit that we were trying for.
You can technically get in line at 8:00. Where the instructions get weird is that they say you can't go past the residency page. But you have to click on the resident/non-resident button to get put in the queue. That is the part I missed.

ahlgringo

WKR
Wow, I will have to rescind my previous post about not knowing anyone that got a tag that had less than 3 available. Hit the "resident since" proceed button at 9am and entered my tag and checked out seemlesly- there were 2 available.

Crazy thing, my buddy got the other one

I did apply and not draw this same tag in the primary and secondary

Tahoe1305

WKR
Something else to consider.

Kinda like the secondary draw favors youth. Leftovers heavily favor military.

From what I read any military CO resident and/or deployed get first action. That is done via mail in prior to 1 Aug.

So I am guessing any qualified folks (and there are a lot of CO bases) have snagged many of those tags after the list is posted and before the site opened at 0900.

Possibly why even the first person in line struck out on what they wanted. At least for this one you aren’t charged until you get the tag.

tx_basser

FNG
Was in queue for a good 30-40 mins before time to start. Entered at 9:00 exactly and tried 12 different choices and not a single one available.

Was in queue for a good 30-40 mins before time to start. Entered at 9:00 exactly and tried 12 different choices and not a single one available.
Same exact thing happened to me. Spent all morning dickin around with it just to enter idk how many codes and have it tell me nothing is available. Waste of time for sure.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
My crew did pretty well. Listening to some of you guys you must think Colorado should do like the feds and just keep printing more.....
they should make all GMU's unlimited ONLY if they arm the elk.... just one big battle for a couple weeks each year

Reactions: XLR
Personally, I am glad that colorado is getting more restrictive on licenses. Too many people in the woods!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel as showing how fast the tags go, colorado each year is going to Tighten the grip. Which needs to be done

jayhawk

WKR
I never understood the "leftover" system. I mean, did they just forget to give those out? Did they get lost in the seat cushions or something?

def90

WKR
Something else to consider.

Kinda like the secondary draw favors youth. Leftovers heavily favor military.

From what I read any military CO resident and/or deployed get first action. That is done via mail in prior to 1 Aug.

So I am guessing any qualified folks (and there are a lot of CO bases) have snagged many of those tags after the list is posted and before the site opened at 0900.

Possibly why even the first person in line struck out on what they wanted. At least for this one you aren’t charged until you get the tag.

I doubt this option is being used by anyone. You don’t get the leftover list until a few days before the draw and you then have to fill out a paper form and mail it in and hope it arrives before the draw.

def90

WKR
I never understood the "leftover" system. I mean, did they just forget to give those out? Did they get lost in the seat cushions or something?

There are leftover tags because they are either tags no one wants for good reasons or they are tags that people drew and never paid for or returned.

The secondary draw and leftover list is partly due to the fact that Colorado doesn’t make you pay up front so you get a ton of guys that put in for tags in multiple states and then pick and chose which ones they want after the fact.

The whole leftover list and secondary draw wouldn’t have to be a thing if they had a system where they just went to the next person in line that applied for that tag when they have a non-payer or someone return a tag.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The whole leftover list and secondary draw wouldn’t have to be a thing if they had a system where they just went to the next person in line that applied for that tag when they have a non-payer or someone return a tag.
Ya, except it's not always that easy to get the next in line to take the tag. That seems kind of backwards and surprising but it happens. A few years ago my daughter didn't draw her elk tag with 5 points. Then CPW called up to offer her a tag that was turned in, and said she was "next in line". Well, according to the stats page there were 8 that didn't draw that tag with 6 points, so I knew she wasn't the "next in line" and I asked the guy "what the heck". He said he had called 13 people and they all declined on the tag.

By their own rules (for 5+ point tags) they say that they will call the next 5 in line and then put it up on the reissue list, so not sure why they didn't do that that year. But my daughter and I were very grateful that they didn't. But imagine having to do that with every single reissue tag out there instead of just the 5+ point tags. Lots of man hours. But I agree, it was better when we had to pay up front. But that has it's own issues and headaches for CPW.

There are leftover tags because they are either tags no one wants for good reasons or they are tags that people drew and never paid for or returned.

The secondary draw and leftover list is partly due to the fact that Colorado doesn’t make you pay up front so you get a ton of guys that put in for tags in multiple states and then pick and chose which ones they want after the fact.

I for one am glad they have the leftover draw. I've gotten 3 of my last 4 tags off it, with two of those being pretty good tags.