Colorado Leftover Tag Alerts

Hey Guys,

I am new to the Forum but I was playing around this morning and I think I came up with something cool. I didn't draw the tag I wanted to in CO this year and I have been checking the left over list like a middle schooler stalking their crush on Facebook. I just ended up writing an app that will check the list for me every 5 min and if by a stroke of luck some poor bloke can't go on his hunt and turns back in his tag I will get a text and an email letting me know that I should log on to CPW and buy the thing ASAP.

I didn't see this anywhere on the state's website and it may already exist. But if it doesn't, what a cool thing eh?

I would love to get some feedback on this idea. Are there others out there that would appreciate this? I'm thinking I could host this on the interwebs somewhere and people could just enter their email or phone(and provider for the text server) and the tag code they are looking for and they could get patched into my script.

Anyways, feedback appreciated. If this is already a thing and I am late to the party then shame on me for checking that list 3 times a day manually......

Cheers

OP
M
HA! I also posted this on the Colorado state bowsite page and immediately got crap for not being a "Colorado Based Company".

For the record, I am a poor graduate student stuck in MA. I already maintain a server for work and have no intention of charging for this service. This would strictly be a pay it forward kind of thing......

CorbLand

WKR
There was someone that use to sponsor this site that did something like this and charged $10/year. Colorado Left Over Watch or something like that was the name.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
The app was out there but is now defunct. Like mentioned it was $10 a year. A 5 min refresh may not be quick enough. How are you getting around not being a robot? With how fast tags are going I believe others out there have a quicker refresh and possibly buying it all within the app

OP
M
Hmm.. I havent tried to refresh quicker than 60 seconds yet but I have not had any problems with a captcha or anything. The list is just a pdf that CPW hosts. You dont have to do anything fancy to grab it. (an R wrapper for wget is all I'm doing)

fishslap

WKR
Your app would need to provide alerts near instantaneously or even be able to bypass the captcha and actually purchase the tag automatically. I’m using diy hunting maps app this year and while I’ve been able to snag a few tags, any decent deer tag was gone before I could even add it to my cart, and I was logged in and entered the code within seconds of the alert.

OP
M
Your app would need to provide alerts near instantaneously or even be able to bypass the captcha and actually purchase the tag automatically.
Wow, That would be pretty cool. However I think the auto purchase is a little out of my scope. That would require significantly more time than I could justify for a pet project.

I wonder if this could still serve a purpose if it was simply a free email notification. Maybe on some of the less popular tags?

fishslap

WKR
Wow, That would be pretty cool. However I think the auto purchase is a little out of my scope. That would require significantly more time than I could justify for a pet project.

I wonder if this could still serve a purpose if it was simply a free email notification. Maybe on some of the less popular tags?
Probably not. You’d need to be equal or better than what’s already out there when it comes to speed. Even less desirable tags are gone in a short amount of time. For me personally, I would also want a text alert and not email. I’ve been using leftover apps since they first came out and have used three different companies.

Jd259

WKR
I used one this year and was able to pick up two tags for buddies in a pretty desirable unit the one I’m using sends text but I don’t know how fast it refreshes and sends out alerts. It’s tough to pick up a reissue even with the one I use I missed the tags several times and I thought I was pretty damn quick trying to buy them.

your way late my friend. There are already a number of these services not to mention the at home guys that have built super fast ones that buy the tag for you.

i would be interested as a colorado local and always need hep filling out the draw etc....