Colorado Low-Preference Point Draws

I was reviewing the 2019 draw stats for Archery, Muzzleloader, and 1st Rifle units that have 30% or great odds of non-residents drawing with no points. I then looked at the units 2018 harvest stats (all they have right now so data is from different years).

It APPEARS that there are some decent “values” out there, especially for first rifle season. I still need to go back and add another year or two of data to see if the trends hold, but let’s assume that at least a few of them hold up.

I’m weary of things that appear too good to be true. Do these high odd drawings with good results actually exists or is there something else going on in the data that I’m missing? What else can I look at to see if it is too good to be true? One thing I plan to check is percentage of public land. I’m not sure there is data that indicates outfitter hunts, but that would be good to know.

Maybe people just don’t want to pay $150 for a turkey license (so annoying) to put in for a non-guaranteed 5 day rifle hunt?

PassCreek

FNG
I'd look at harvest statistics (not sure if they're out there for 2019), how much public land is available in the unit and stuff like that. I tagged along with a buddy hunting Elk and the unit was horrible. There were guys riding around in ATVs all over, people camped right next to Elk wallows, lots of hunters in general, etc. It just wasn't a good experience.

The Turkey license comment confuses me? Are you talking about a qualifying license? I think a non-resident small game will be cheaper if you're talking about a qualifying license. I don't know if there's anything cheaper than that.

OP
G
I'd look at harvest statistics (not sure if they're out there for 2019), how much public land is available in the unit and stuff like that. I tagged along with a buddy hunting Elk and the unit was horrible. There were guys riding around in ATVs all over, people camped right next to Elk wallows, lots of hunters in general, etc. It just wasn't a good experience.

The Turkey license comment confuses me? Are you talking about a qualifying license? I think a non-resident small game will be cheaper if you're talking about a qualifying license. I don't know if there's anything cheaper than that.

Thank you for the info. Regarding the license, according to the CPW website, spring turkey is the only qualifying license for a non-resident. Youth can get the small game license.

mlgc20

WKR
Thank you for the info. Regarding the license, according to the CPW website, spring turkey is the only qualifying license for a non-resident. Youth can get the small game license.

I was hoping you misread their website. But, it looks like you are correct. Last year, I purchased the NR small game license for $81.75 and that worked as a qualifying license. It's unfortunate they changed that, to force us to spend the $150 up front.

OP
G
^^^ Bad info - See below

View attachment 156120

Looks like the there is conflicting information.

761E484B-66A9-4961-B864-DBBF2040DE8B.jpeg

OP
G
It’s straight off the CPW website Qualifying License page. I also have the 2020 brochure and found the same thing as you. They have conflicting information published. Later on that page, it does mention non-res small game so the issue is just that first section where they link to the licenses.

Ok, let’s get back to the OG topic.

If it looks too good it probably is. My guess is there is some large chunks of private that are being hunted or leased and they are skewing the harvest stats up

OP
G
If it looks too good it probably is. My guess is there is some large chunks of private that are being hunted or leased and they are skewing the harvest stats up

I need to dig in some more, but several of the units have very high percentages of public land and still had good results. Going to add the archery and ML data in for those units and see if anything weird comes out.