Colorado mid September Clothes

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
What system are you guys running for base layer, mid layer, outer layer?

We are camping by the car and going out/come back each day from there. This will be my first active style hunt. I would say I tend to run on the hotter side while being active. I will have a warm jacket at camp if the temps drop at night.

I currently have FL Llano, Chama, FL puffy vest, Marmot Precip jacket, FL Allegheny bottoms with Eddie Guide Pants.

What top should I add or do I need one? I am thinking about a hoody piece, maybe the FL Klamath Hoody grid fleece or the Corrugate guide jacket?

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sitka Gear for all three of those. I am running Core Lightweight Bottom and CORE Lightweight Crew long sleeve for my base layer. Then run the apex pant because of its removable knee pads and the DWR finish. I personally think its the best early season pant for your wormer hunts but if you get cold easy you can always jump to a mountain pant or if you over heat easy then jump down to the ascent pant, its just what fits best for you. Then I would run a Jetstream Jacket, this jacket is crazy and my personal favorite peace Sitka makes. I run this jacket from early September elk hunts to late November mule deer hunts and it works great for stopping the wind and the DWR finish will keep you dry for those short rain and snow storms that you will find yourself stuck in most of September. If you do get cold easy then I would look into the Kelvin Lite Hoody for under you Jetstream for those colder mornings.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Mix and match. FL Aero 150 hood base layer top, FL Wick boxers. Kuiu Attacks, FL Grid fleece or Kuiu Peloton 240 depending on conditions. Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants for rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam B

FNG
Are the FL wick boxers really worth the money. I am ordering 1 pair right now to try out but $40 for 1 pair is hard to swallow if they are not that good

Mudd Foot

WKR
Are the FL wick boxers really worth the money. I am ordering 1 pair right now to try out but $40 for 1 pair is hard to swallow if they are not that good

IMO, yes. Being merino they don’t stink (from sweat bacteria anyway) after a week’s wear.

K_pem

WKR
How active of a hunter are you? Truck or backpack camping? Run hot, cold (or if you're like me you sweat your ass of during the work part and get cold easily sitting still) ?

cowboy300

WKR
A lot of this question depends on where and what elevation you will be hunting. I have chased elk mid september where it was 90+ and a few days later been up high and it was in the teens with blowing snow.

Mudd Foot

WKR
How active of a hunter are you? Truck or backpack camping? Run hot, cold (or if you're like me you sweat your ass of during the work part and get cold easily sitting still) ?

Am backpack hunter, and run on the cold side relatively.

K_pem

WKR
If you already have next to skin layers, a mid layer (Chama), rain jacket and pants (if you like those), my next move would be an insulation layer. If you’re going to be fairly active I’d go Kuiu kenai jacket or vest. If you’re more concerned with weight and run hot as you say down is a good choice too. Keep in mind how wet it will be and how much youll be moving while needing the insulation.

If you really want to add some sort of light weight jacket/hoodie/top I would consider a gore windstopper layer. I always have either my Jetstream or mountain vest with me unless it’s cold enough to warrant my Jetstream jacket.

Catahoula

WKR
First Lite aerowool 150 tops. Obsidian pants. Always have the heavier weigh pants and jacket for the unforeseen snow that could come down. But, seems to be lightweight merino is worn high percentage of the time.

OP
B

Beararms

Lil-Rokslider
I updated my post a bit, forgot I had the FL puffy vest.

Anymore recommandations or what I should add?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For 90% of the archery season I wear a lightweight merino crew and my Microtex Lite button up collared shirt, and sometimes my microfleece mock T as a mid-layer up top.........and lightweight merino bottoms with Microtex Lite pants the whole season.

Kuiu zip off bottoms, Sitka apex pants, Sitka or FL wool baselayer, Sitka apex hoodie or kelvin active, FL uncompaghre puffy pants and jacket, rain gear. This setup can handle dang near anything as far as I’m concerned.