Colorado: More lenient returned tag policy

Colorado has decided to let you return a tag up to 15 days prior to the season and get a refund AND restore your points.

rob86jeep

WKR
Wouldn't it be sweet if you could return your tag, restore your points, then buy the same tag once it hits the leftover list...lol

Reactions: lif

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn't it be sweet if you could return your tag, restore your points, then buy the same tag once it hits the leftover list...lol
+1
prod.jpg

OP
txhunter581
Why would they care? I don’t. If you want to turn back in a high point tag and gamble that you can pick one up on the return list, be my guest. Pretty long odds to accomplish that.

But it would be sweet!

Ratbeetle

WKR
Why would they care? I don’t. If you want to turn back in a high point tag and gamble that you can pick one up on the return list, be my guest. Pretty long odds to accomplish that.

But it would be sweet!

I was referring to point creep and that I don't think CPW cares about it at all since it doesn't seem to impact the amount of money they take in.

I don't fault a guy if he could pull off returning a tag, getting his points back and then snagging it as a leftover. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

OP
txhunter581
Be careful what you ask for. Residents are fine with our high prices. But that is why they won’t/ can’t cut NR numbers. Not trying to start an argument. Just stating facts.

Mosby

WKR
My son can't go this year because of work and is turning his in. Getting his PP back is huge for him.

I sent my Montana tags back for refund due to work and quarantine requirements coming back into my state. They stated they could not give me back my preference points which is total BS. I'm going to keep calling and emailing them until they do. Under normal circumstances I understand, but this year has been everything but normal and states should be a hell of a lot more understanding since it is out of our hands.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

OP
txhunter581
You and at least 10 others. 🤪

But seriously I know what you mean. As a nonresident, I would personally be ok hunting every other year if the hunters numbers went down and quality went up.

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
Would much rather increase resident fees and keep more of the tags. Go to 90/10 like most states, at least in draw units. I’d happily... and everyone I know as well... pay the difference as a resident.

WCB

WKR
I'm surprised so many are lobbying to pay the same as NR.

All talk till it happens...then you would here "the price of hunting is too high...I pay taxes in this state and they are gouging us...why do I have to pay as much as NRs double their cost and cut their tags in half..." the vast majority of resident hunters in any state bitch about a couple percent increase in fees. If the residents were willing to pay it for whatever reason (lower NR numbers, better conservation programs, better herd management, etc.) the state would already be charging it.

All talk till it happens...then you would here "the price of hunting is too high...I pay taxes in this state and they are gouging us...why do I have to pay as much as NRs double their cost and cut their tags in half..." the vast majority of resident hunters in any state bitch about a couple percent increase in fees. If the residents were willing to pay it for whatever reason (lower NR numbers, better conservation programs, better herd management, etc.) the state would already be charging it.

Right. Everyone is a capitalist until they need to pay for it. Seems like the state making it cheaper is opposite of capitalism to me.

I'm sure several would be willing to pay for it. But I doubt it would be the 1/15 that it would take to make up the difference.

I pay more to hunt whitetail as a resident in my state than many do to hunt elk in their state. Guess that's cause we don't have a heavy NR cash flow. Still only costs a NR about double what it costs me.

OP
txhunter581

Making that statement on the internet and lobbying to actually get it done are two separate things. It won’t ever happen. It was like pulling teeth the get the last raise in prices passed. But because of that, NR quotas are pretty secure. But when our tag prices are $1000 bucks, it’s gonna suck. And that will happen in my lifetime. I have been hunting long enough to have paid $250 for an elk tag. Now it is $700...

Felix40

WKR
Hopefully they don’t keep doing that after this year. They need to be getting people to use their points.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I'd pay even more, but there's that caveat that I also included with that. Increased tag prices with increased hunter numbers won't cut it. There needs to be an entire overhaul of how they allocate tags to get residents to pay a lot more.