Colorado mule deer 2021

Rickyv

FNG
Looking for a little advice from the Rokstars or anyone else who would be willing to help. Hopefully I will be heading to Colorado this year from Oregon I have 12 points. I would appreciate your opinions on a couple of units I’m trying to decide between What are your opinions between unit 44 second season or unit 551 third season or should I hold out another year or two for 55 third season. My main objective is to have a chance at a good mature buck I don’t mind hiking and getting away from the crowds but if I have to hunt the roads to cover country I will do that too. Thanks in advance for any help that you can share.

Marble

WKR
Look at the dates for the seasons. They are a little later now.

You'll be hard pressed to get someone to give advice on a unit or what to do besides tactics.

You're going to have to pick a poison and go with it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rickyv

FNG
Thanks guys. I was guessing it would take a few more points this year too. I believe 44 and 551 are around 8 to 10 points and I was just hoping I could get a few opinions which unit would be best thanks again.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You should have the points for either. Pick the one you got the most intel and local knowledge on and logistically works for your abilities and somewhat the way you prefer to hunt.

Either could be good IF you get the weather. If it's 60 degrees and sunny every day, both could be equally bad but in those condtions, I'd rather be in a 3rd season.

Don't wait for 55 in a few years, too much could happen and my money is that older age class bucks are going to become even more rare in all W. slope units (even the low tag premiums) due to all rifle tags are now issued After October 30th.

OP
R

Rickyv

FNG
Will do. Good points. And I really don’t want to wait much longer anyway. Thanks for the intel

rolocasi

FNG
Good luck, I hope you draw! Just count on points creep on some of the premium units (even on second season), but you should be fine. I am burning my double digit points this year (but a I'm a applying with more than 3-4 points than it took last year in a unit that I am interested in).

Jimss

WKR
44 has dark timber where bucks tend to hide, gobs of OTC elk hunters, and is highly dependent on snow to drive deer into the unit. 44 is a gamble but if all the stars align you may have a great hunt. Be ready for it to be a super tough hunt. If you put in miles of hiking and hours behind glass you may be rewarded or may eat tag soup?

OP
R

Rickyv

FNG
Haha. I have eaten plenty of tag soup in the past I was hoping Colorado would be different. The stars seldom seem to lineup for me and it is funny every time I think I have chosen my unit I get new info and change back to the other. What units do the deer come from should I check those out. It’s getting down to crunch time and I better figure this out soon. I do appreciate your response and it’s good to hear from you take care and good luck. I have gotten some great advice from this thread this is pretty cool I wish I could add something to it but maybe after this hunt I will have some advice for others

The dates were about 5 days later last year and are going to be about another 5 days later this year. It will take maybe 4 to 5 more points to draw a specific tag this year as compared to last year. I seriously doubt that you will be able to draw the unit 44 tag.
I drew a tag last year with 20 points and my son with 19 didn't draw. People with 17 points drew the same tag the year before.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The dates were about 5 days later last year and are going to be about another 5 days later this year. It will take maybe 4 to 5 more points to draw a specific tag this year as compared to last year. I seriously doubt that you will be able to draw the unit 44 tag.
I drew a tag last year with 20 points and my son with 19 didn't draw. People with 17 points drew the same tag the year before.

You stated: "It will take maybe 4 to 5 more points to draw a specific tag this year as compared to last year." Based on what info?

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I put in for a unit that took 3 to draw last year, with my 9 points. The unit I’ve been looking at took 8 last year but I’ve got a good feeling that’ll cost 10-12 this year.
what do we base these thoughts on?

1. Nobody seems to be running out of money in this “bad economy” and everyone want to be a hunter
2. People have been talking about Colorado 2021 season dates for years...now it’s here.
3. evidence...Idaho units selling out in a few hours just because of the freak out hype

it’ll be interesting to see how she all shakes out

You stated: "It will take maybe 4 to 5 more points to draw a specific tag this year as compared to last year." Based on what info?
I have been applying in CO and 7 other western states for 20 years. Also, I subscribe to a couple services that specialize in this kind of information. They are both telling me 3-5 points. I'm going with 4-5 points based on how many points it took to draw a tag last year, and the later dates this year. Last year I drew a tag with 20 points. My son with 19 did not draw. Previously it only took 16-17 points to draw this specific tag. 16-17 means that everybody with 17 points drew and only some of the people with 16 points drew. I was planning on applying for a tag that had previously taken 19 points to draw and luckily had an expert tell me that I didn't stand a chance. He told me that the only tags I had a shot at were ones that had previously only taken 16-17 points to draw. I'm glad I listened to him he was exactly right

The later dates this year make these tags that much more desirable. People that have just been building points for YEARS, will actually apply for tags this year. as they did last year.

There will be a sense of urgency to draw a tag (as soon as possible) as these later dates will benefit the hunter and not the deer. Many/more of the older age class deer will get killed. Hunters who were only seeing ...thus killing 2-3 year old deer will be on 4-5-6 years old deer. Which means fewer bucks in the older age classes will be surviving for later years. These later dates will dramatically decrease the trophy quality in these CO units.. There will still be " X " number of bucks. There will be less older bucks.

My son who now has 20 points will be applying for a tag that last year took 17 points to draw and the year before took 14 points to draw. We are holding our breath as to whether he will draw....he will be right on the point line ...his drawing this tag is not a sure thing. Only time will tell.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
jlvandersnick,

Interesting perspective. I guess we'll see. All we can do is try to draw a tag which is what our group is going to do. Fingers are crossed.

Good luck to all in the drawings.

bigmoose

WKR
Between 44 2nd and 551 3rd, I would think with 12 points you could get the 44 tag this year. 44 is one of those units you could get that "once in a lifetime" buck. Yes, it could be a tough hunt but you at least have a good chance at a great buck. The deer density is low but the herd has great genetics and you only need one...
You need to make your first choice for the unit you think you have the best odds of drawing. I would not wait to cash in my points.

It was 44 3rd season that we were originally wanting to apply in last year...it ended up taking 21 points to draw.

Finally took the time to look up the stats. It took 8 points to draw 44 2nd season last year. With 12 you will be right on the line. Good luck

sndmn11

WKR
I feel like a lot of this speculation isn't taking into account that there are not an infinite number of high point holders. One can look at last year's draw stats and get a close approximation of the number of holders for each point digit. I tend to believe that less than 1% of applicants are genuinely "saving" points by accruel rather than attempting to draw the first chance they have.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like a lot of this speculation isn't taking into account that there are not an infinite number of high point holders. One can look at last year's draw stats and get a close approximation of the number of holders for each point digit. I tend to believe that less than 1% of applicants are genuinely "saving" points by accruel rather than attempting to draw the first chance they have.
If I understand the CO Reports correctly for 2020:
  • 46,336 Non-Residents applied for a Deer Pref Point​
  • 72,987 Non-Residents applied for a Deer Hunting License for a 1st Choice​
  • 15,742 Non-Residents (not including youth) drew a Deer Hunting License​