Colorado Mule Deer

Hey guys, I'm an avid hunter in Idaho. I hunt on my tag and help a few buddies and guys on the site each year for fun and learning about a wide swath of Idaho. I am going to start building Colorado points and thinking of holding out for a few years but not waiting forever for the upper end tags. If anyone is willing to share their .02 on Colorado, I'd be all ears and willing to do the same for Idaho. I can recommend OTC and limited entry options, including archery/muzzie. Note: Idaho limited entry rifle tags are a hope and a prayer with low odds for all the decent ones, especially as a non-resident. In Colorado I'm debating between 2/3 rifle or one of the early season muzzie hunts.

Thanks!

wrkn2hunt

FNG
I hunted Co a couple years ago 3rd season on a second choice and it was a terrible unit thus the second choice. We are now building points and will be hunting there again with 4 or 5 next time so should get a much better hunt. All I can tell you is where not to hunt deer!

OP
I
It puts people in a real conundrum. Colorado is currently way above and beyond other states in producing trophy deer. I’m not sure the change in the dates alone would drastically change that but I definitely could be wrong and I don’t know that much about Colorado deer by any means. Will there also be more tags?

swampokie

WKR
Colorado survived many years of otc deer hunting when there were a lot more hunters. Hearing many say were losing hunters and hunting is a dying sport there may not be enuff hunters to eradicate the mature deer on the western slope! Yeah right!!

Overall I feel Colorado is in a rough spot. Increases in tags , "potential"re-introduction of wolves, and now the change in season structure leaves a lot to be desired. The change in season structure alone is going to alter the deer hunting in CO in a very negative way. I would personally be trying to strike while the iron is hot in the next 2 years.. feel free to send a PM

HuntNTag

WKR
Hey guys, I'm an avid hunter in Idaho. I hunt on my tag and help a few buddies and guys on the site each year for fun and learning about a wide swath of Idaho. I am going to start building Colorado points and thinking of holding out for a few years but not waiting forever for the upper end tags. If anyone is willing to share their .02 on Colorado, I'd be all ears and willing to do the same for Idaho. I can recommend OTC and limited entry options, including archery/muzzie. Note: Idaho limited entry rifle tags are a hope and a prayer with low odds for all the decent ones, especially as a non-resident. In Colorado I'm debating between 2/3 rifle or one of the early season muzzie hunts.

Thanks!

There are lots of huge deer in CO. Colorado allows you to put in for the draw/ build points and get either leftover tags. Now that is considered the leftover draw. You should build points and wait for 5-7 years to get some great units. Meanwhile, try to get yourself some leftover units, get to hunt that same unit over and over during those 5-7 years so you know it like the back of your hand and you will do well on the second choice tag. The biggest issue with Colorado is hunting pressure. You need to get away from people as much as possible. Lots of road hunting and in some units, the elk hunting and deer hunting colliding makes it tough. The best places I’ve found are boundaries between private and public land. The crossover of deer and elk is something you can catch and take advantage of.

burning 3 points on a 3rd season tag. im familiar with the area and know ill see some good bucks. hopefully a jumbo shows up before an average one because i have a itchy finger

Jfasher

Lil-Rokslider
With changing season dates I won't be surprised if people dump a lot of points next year.