Colorado Mule Deer

FredBear86

Lil-Rokslider
My brother and I went to unit 63 in 2013 and had a great hunt. My brother went back in 2018 and had not such a good hunt. I have 6 pp as of now and will get another this year and again in 2021 with the intentions of going no sooner than 2022. That will leave me with at least 8 pp before I go back. With that being said as a non resident what units would yal look into? Wait a few years and get a few more points or prob gonna waste a few by going to a unit that only takes 4-5? Opinions? I kinda got an idea what I think I may do but would like to hear others thoughts as well. Thanks in advance guys

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you're holding out for 55, no since on building points for archery. You're already there. Go hunting. There will be fewer mature bucks in Colorado (if that's what you're after) in the next few years than probably the last 18...

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
Was there a bad winter kill in any certain areas?
No, they pushed the seasons later into peak rut dates so more mature bucks will be killed in the next few years. 2nd season is basically over the historical 3rd season dates, 3rd over 4th and now 4th is 18th - 22nd of Nov. I believe this is the new norm for the next 5 years.

HuntNTag

WKR
No, they pushed the seasons later into peak rut dates so more mature bucks will be killed in the next few years. 2nd season is basically over the historical 3rd season dates, 3rd over 4th and now 4th is 18th - 22nd of Nov. I believe this is the new norm for the next 5 years.

I was thinking about this change. One of my thoughts was that we might see some points get burned this year if there is a season with this civil-19 but most importantly, I think the amount of elk hunters out there will
Impact the hunting for deer. Thoughts?

Strike while the iron is hot! I'll be interested to see the points jump from everyone throwing in 20/21.

Jfasher

Lil-Rokslider
I think the biggest point dump will be next year. The season dates don't change as much this year as next. Then add the uncertainty of everything this year with the virus and seasons might be cancelled for out of state hunters.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
September is 4.5 months out. I hate to speculate but I have a hunch we'll be hunting.

I agree with what has been said above. Why wait? Go hunt while it's still great.

I was in the same position but determined early on that with the season dates it was better to cash in now and hunt. Otherwise the bigger deer would need to survive the entire 2020 season, a winter which could potentially be bad then archery and the first two rifles in 2021.....

Not sure if it was the right decision but for me its just time to go...