Colorado Mulies!

Mike76

FNG
Gentleman
Mule Deer Hunting Colorado. The Time is about to begin to put in for our Big game Hunts.
Has any one or can any one give any Information hunting mulies in Unit 15 CO.
Its a first for me as we usually hunt across the CO river from 15 and the hunting pressure is extreme to say the least in the last couple years.
Back a few years the pressure was way down and the hunts were great with some very nice bucks were being killed.
The last couple years not only with the Rut not kicking in but the lack for what ever reason? Hunting was way down and my family never shot a buck.
Sure we could of shot some smaller bucks, But our way of thinking if we keep killing all these smaller bucks were never going to get to those mature bucks we would all love to kill.
So please any info would be well appreciated.. We are looking, chatting, doing all the homework we can. We all know how sometimes that can be frustrating when it comes to hunting these Mule's Thank You gentleman.......... Thanks so much Hunter 73

Attachments

• 166096_1595991656745_5841454_n[1].jpg
    166096_1595991656745_5841454_n[1].jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 98
In the past I've hunted right next door in 27 and I was not impressed with the Mule Deer numbers, or the hunter numbers for that matter. I've backpacked through 15 in the summer and had the same impression on Deer numbers then as well. I don't think there are any secrets to be had around there. Hunt hard and maybe something good will happen.

Nice buck in your photo! I never saw anything close to that in the area you are inquiring about.

I hunted unit 27 this year, and to be honest I was not at all surprised that a hunter was killed by another hunter in that unit. I know guys complain a lot on here about hunter numbers but the allowable hunter numbers in the kremmling units is bordering on criminal negligence by CPW. I saw 2 different occasions this year where guys were 180 degrees from each other converging on and eventually shooting at the same forked buck! I watched a guy shoot a doe with multiple wall tents and trucks just 500 yds behind the deer.

OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
In the past I've hunted right next door in 27 and I was not impressed with the Mule Deer numbers, or the hunter numbers for that matter. I've backpacked through 15 in the summer and had the same impression on Deer numbers then as well. I don't think there are any secrets to be had around there. Hunt hard and maybe something good will happen.

Nice buck in your photo! I never saw anything close to that in the area you are inquiring about.
Nickofthewoods
Thanks so much that does help out a lot..
I hiked into the Sarvis wilderness a time or two looking for a Bull during bow season. Did not see many elk at all infact one small herd.
No Bucks at all and very few Does. Chatted with a couple hunters living close and indicated Unit 15 can kick out some great bucks but more North along the Colorado River.
So Hunting across the CO river and killing some nice bucks, I was thinking 15 on the other side might be good
as well..
Maybe Wrong and will keep looking before applying. Thank You for your reply very much appreciated.
I know! I'd probably feel and think the same, why? would I give up my honey hole?
I have never hunted a private Ranch and things there might be quite different, But Honey holes in today's world are slim to none if we cant draw a coveted Tag, But even then we have to hunt our tails off to kill a buck in the high 180's.. Thank You Sir hunter73

Attachments

• colorado 2112-19.jpg
    colorado 2112-19.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 69
OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
I hunted unit 27 this year, and to be honest I was not at all surprised that a hunter was killed by another hunter in that unit. I know guys complain a lot on here about hunter numbers but the allowable hunter numbers in the kremmling units is bordering on criminal negligence by CPW. I saw 2 different occasions this year where guys were 180 degrees from each other converging on and eventually shooting at the same forked buck! I watched a guy shoot a doe with multiple wall tents and trucks just 500 yds behind the deer.
Str8shooter
Thank You for the reply..
15 borders 27 west of kremmling.
I have seen the numbers and can agree with those whom are saying those numbers of hunters allocated in some of these units is absolutely numbing.
It is why? I mentioned the fact that it is getting to be about the mighty Dollar. We hate to think that or even indicate the possibility.
When you see the numbers jump from 293 to over 400 to have to wonder what that's all about..
I understand the objectives and I think we all know that surveys are counted on the numbers seen while flying units and percentages are figured into what they are going to give out for the season numbers + or - each season. The last 4 years we have seen increases with the exception of the 2020 season. Even so that drop did not come close to where it was 4 yrs ago. I never an figure how realistic these counts actually are.
Here in Oregon because of there management our mule population along with blacktails are in the toilet.
Too many tags, number 1. too many doe tags number 2. then in 2020 added that any visible antler was legal.
How long do they think that we will continue even having any good bucks to shoot. It is Crazy and it is all about the Dollar.
I have seen some of the best Blacktail hunting in the west right here to now you better have a place to hunt or those days are over. Sad,, very Sad what the ODFW has done to Oregon as a whole.
Colorado this season which most already know have increased there seasons out a week later then ever before. Now the third season will be like hunting the 4th season which was always a trophy hunt, so go figure how long our mature buck herds will be around.. Numbers with these late hunts need to be down on numbers of tags or we wont have mature bucks to hunt in the future.. only my reasoning..
Oh well look at the world today LOL.. hunter73

CPW is killing the damn deer herds, it is mind boggling. i guess there will be elk to hunt and they make way more money off NR elk tags. It IS getting downright dangerous in the Kremmling units. it was a sh*! show out there this year.
Don't know where to tell you to go 73. Good luck.

I was talking to a CPW agent in the unit I was in last year. I mentioned that we (our hunt party) had not seen anyone take a buck much bigger than a 80" 3x3. The agent replied back with "that's good, if people would kill more small ones I wouldn't have to issue as many tags".

In the back of my head I was like "if you kill all the small ones, there will never be any big ones". But what do I know?

I eventually got my friend on a solid 4x4 that had 3.5" eye guards. I don't know many people who would have passed on him.

Last edited:
OP
Mike76

Mike76

FNG
I was talking to a CPW agent in the unit I was in last year. I mentioned that we (our hunt party) had not seen anyone take a buck much bigger than a 80" 3x3. The agent replied back with "that's good, if people would kill more small ones I wouldn't have to issue as many tags".

In the back of my head I was like "if you kill all the small ones, there will never be any big ones". But what do I know?

I eventually got my friend on a solid 4x4 that had 3.5" eye guards. I don't know many people who would have passed on him.
Irkedcitizen
Thank you for the reply!
sorry to see even as an out of state hunter that Colorado is doing what they are . CWD is suppose to be the issue of why they are doing what they are with these extended seasons.
Sure for the next couple years there will be some huge bucks killed at least there sure should be.
This is going to be right in the middle of the rut 3rd season and if they don't cut back on tags its going to be some time for these mulies to recover.
I have hunted Colorado since 2005. Seen the big winter kill in 08. Even so I killed the largest mulie to date in 2008.
2018, 2019 were the two worst seasons I have seen in the 16 yrs I have Hunted CO.
The tags back then were low in units that I hunted and are now 500+. So all I can say its about the Dollar Bill.
Oregon where I percide this last season in 2020 they justified any visible antler. Common sense? There is NON!
When I see a State as pristine as CO with what used to be the best state in the country to hunt is starting to go down hill and fast..
AS indicated I'm an out of stater and will indicate cut back on the Tags lose some hunters and so what if we have to wait a season or with points to draw. There is just two many hunters in the field in some of these smaller units and when you are looking at Orange all morning, Then yes there is just two many Hunters.
I cant even imagine if some of these guys are hunting close to roads what they must see... Sad, Very Sad.
I guess we will see what this will bring and I hope they have a Plan???? hunter73

Attachments

• 166096_1595991656745_5841454_n[1].jpg
    166096_1595991656745_5841454_n[1].jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 17