Colorado muzzleloader bear

Trevor.b

FNG
This fall I've decided to put in for a Colorado muzzleloader tag in a unit that offers bear add on tags. I've never hunted bear before and have heard it can be a challenging task in the fall. My main goal is an elk but I would still love to tag out. Any tips on areas, environment, time of day, or anything else you feel a first time bear hunter may need to know. Thanks for your help in advance.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Id focus on elk because it's easier and If you have an elk carcass the bears will show up in a day or two. We don't run into many bears while elk hunting even though they are plentiful

OP
T

Trevor.b

FNG
I would think hunting your carcass would be questionable at best since depending on the warden you run into, it could be considered baiting? Again, I’d love to harvest a bear but focus is on elk. This is my second year doing any western hunting so I’m trying to get out and get some exposure. Last year’s adventure was eye opening and I’m trying early this year to prepare myself now that I know what to expect.

Slugz

WKR
Couple tips that seems to work for us. Weather dependent though.
1) you cant glassem up. They are in the thick stuff.
2) focus on areas that have elderberry, hawthorn, chokecherry, serviceberry, wild rose hips and most importantly, acorns.
3) elk carcass in the correct spot will hold a bear a few days. Key there is few.
4) we see em move only right at shooting light, going to water mid morning and last light of the day.

They are around just a tough hunt in the fall. Stick with getting an elk down first then transition to finding a bear. Archery bear below from a few years back. Came across him while elk hunting. Good luck.20190912_190238.jpg

Slugz

WKR
I would think hunting your carcass would be questionable at best since depending on the warden you run into, it could be considered baiting? Again, I’d love to harvest a bear but focus is on elk. This is my second year doing any western hunting so I’m trying to get out and get some exposure. Last year’s adventure was eye opening and I’m trying early this year to prepare myself now that I know what to expect.
Not considered baiting in Co. If you distribute or move the carcass then it is considered baiting.
Theres a few other tidbits in the big game book in that same pararaph that may surprise some people.

As cheap as NR bear tags are, why not. As stated, if you get an elk down, only a matter of time until the bears find it. Depending on where in CO you're going, bears can be all over, or very sparse. I can't tell you how many bears I've had under 20 yds while archery hunting here in CO. I just don't feel like dealing with them during an elk hunt. I love hunting bears, just not during the fall during an elk hunt.

OP
T

Trevor.b

FNG
Not considered baiting in Co. If you distribute or move the carcass then it is considered baiting.
Theres a few other tidbits in the big game book in that same pararaph that may surprise some people.
I’ll be the first to admit that I have not given it a thorough read yet, thank you for not brow beating me. Lol. It’s nice to entertain a friendly informative conversation, too often people no longer want to help one another and more so just want to make newbs the butt of all the jokes. And I am 1000% newb to western style hunting. I have the big game book in my bag and read over it when there is down time at work.

Slugz

WKR
I’ll be the first to admit that I have not given it a thorough read yet, thank you for not brow beating me. Lol. It’s nice to entertain a friendly informative conversation, too often people no longer want to help one another and more so just want to make newbs the butt of all the jokes. And I am 1000% newb to western style hunting. I have the big game book in my bag and read over it when there is down time at work.
Heres my take on that. If us guys who know better dont take the time to " mentor " those that dont in a respectful way......then no one young will want to hunt. Thats lost on a lot of people on these hunting forums. Feel free to PM me on anything on Colorado and I can try and help ya.

OP
T

Trevor.b

FNG
As cheap as NR bear tags are, why not. As stated, if you get an elk down, only a matter of time until the bears find it. Depending on where in CO you're going, bears can be all over, or very sparse. I can't tell you how many bears I've had under 20 yds while archery hunting here in CO. I just don't feel like dealing with them during an elk hunt. I love hunting bears, just not during the fall during an elk hunt.
I became a Co resident last year, but the same applies to your statement. For $40 why wouldn’t I add on the bear license. I’d rather have and not need than to need and not have.