Colorado Muzzleloader

Tdeckard

FNG
Hey Fellas!

I drew a Colorado mule deer tag for GMU 7, 8, 9, 19, and 191 for 2019’s muzzleloader season. This will be my first trip to Co for Mule deer and I’m beyond stoked! I’ve read numerous articles regarding loads and looking to see what everyone else is using for their TC’s.

Also, the statistics for these units are worrisome. CPW has the harvest rate low as well as Go Hunt, but CPW reflect estimated population fairly high. High populations with poor success rate just doesn’t compute in my brain. What gives??

Also, before anyone gets overly excited, I am traveling from Oklahoma to scout prior to the hunt so no need to break out your soap boxes. 😂

I’ll be a solo hunter, so if anyone is interested in comparing notes and possibly meeting up to aid one another with packout, gameplans, and strategy let me know..

OP
T

Tdeckard

FNG
Regarding loads, I’ve also read the regulations and fully understand what is legal. Just looking for success stories regarding load and accuracy of loads with TC’s

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful with population estimate data. Not that it is wrong, just can be interpreted in many ways......for example did CPW do a fly over head count during summer or rut? Do they do a unit wide rep analysis or use another method?

I have never hunted the units in your tag, but in my experience if I have been in a unit that does have a high population and low harvest I’m in a unit that has a strong private land holding where it counts. May not be huge, but it’s in the “zone” and that zone is where animals in that unit spend time/live.

Check your OnX and see if migration routes are mostly on private, and then check that against your fall concentration. That should get you good starting points

Last edited:

street

WKR
Just keep in mind that the harvest numbers are from surveys. So you probably get a ton of people who didn't harvest not fill out the survey or vice a versa.

street

WKR
I've never hunted those units but if it were me, I would get far away from the Fort Collins and Red Feather areas. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Jimss

WKR
I imagine higher densities of deer and low harvest success is partially due to a large chunk of the deer in those units are found on private land. The private likely has some of the highest concentration of deer and the least amount of hunting pressure. Guess where the deer head when pressured? Those units get totally hammered by OTC elk hunters so be prepared for company on the parcels of public land that are better suited for deer. When you come out to scout I would seek out the largest areas of public land without roads or ATV trails!

OXN939

WKR
Highly recommend using Thor bullets. Get the sizing pack, determine which fits your bore the best and then get two packs. A load with Triple Seven should be easy to formulate; keep in mind that CO does not allow pellets. A lot of guys like BH209, although you must use magnum primers with it or it won't ignite reliably.

OP
T

Tdeckard

FNG
I've never hunted those units but if it were me, I would get far away from the Fort Collins and Red Feather areas. Just my thoughts. Good luck!
I appreciate it! Yes, I’ll be getting off the beaten path for sure. Hopefully I can get tucked in between public and private to catch them in transition of feeding areas

OP
T

Tdeckard

FNG
Highly recommend using Thor bullets. Get the sizing pack, determine which fits your bore the best and then get two packs. A load with Triple Seven should be easy to formulate; keep in mind that CO does not allow pellets. A lot of guys like BH209, although you must use magnum primers with it or it won't ignite reliably.
[/

Thanks man! I’ll check them out!

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe there is a better thread to ask this on, but I'm curious what everyone thinks about the accuracy of the CO harvest data. I know it other states they require tag holders to report about their success in order to be able to apply for a tag in the year following, but that's not the case in CO. Are they able to get accurate harvest information without hearing from all of the hunters?

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I imagine higher densities of deer and low harvest success is partially due to a large chunk of the deer in those units are found on private land. The private likely has some of the highest concentration of deer and the least amount of hunting pressure. Guess where the deer head when pressured? Those units get totally hammered by OTC elk hunters so be prepared for company on the parcels of public land that are better suited for deer. When you come out to scout I would seek out the largest areas of public land without roads or ATV trails!
Doubt they get pounded by otc elk hunters considering they are draw units... I hunt it for muzzy deer every year it is crowded but no worse than any other easy access area. Deer are spread out all across the area but yes highest density will be on the private.

365buckin

FNG
Hey Fellas!

I drew a Colorado mule deer tag for GMU 7, 8, 9, 19, and 191 for 2019’s muzzleloader season. This will be my first trip to Co for Mule deer and I’m beyond stoked! I’ve read numerous articles regarding loads and looking to see what everyone else is using for their TC’s.

Also, the statistics for these units are worrisome. CPW has the harvest rate low as well as Go Hunt, but CPW reflect estimated population fairly high. High populations with poor success rate just doesn’t compute in my brain. What gives??

Also, before anyone gets overly excited, I am traveling from Oklahoma to scout prior to the hunt so no need to break out your soap boxes. 😂

I’ll be a solo hunter, so if anyone is interested in comparing notes and possibly meeting up to aid one another with packout, gameplans, and strategy let me know..
What primer, bullet and powder combination did you end up going with?