Colorado/Nevada's down, only Id & Az to go

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The application season is flying for me. Just applied Colorado points only, Nevada muzz first two choices, some rifle hunts last 3 choices. Looking at the calender, only Idaho and Arizona left for me.

I dropped Oregon when they got stingy a few years ago. I used to apply for up to 10 states, but am learning where to focus based on the value of applying in certain states vs the odds of getting a tag. Looks like just 5 states this year, but Lord willin' can just draw one decent tag.

This is part of the reason I hunt deer only, too hard to make plans when I was chasing multiple species in the draws.

Anyone else get applied for Nevada yet, or waiting until deadline in April?

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
Man, time has flown by! I did get in for deer in Nevada, points only for deer in Colorado this year (almost cried on that one), deer and elk in Utah, pronghorn and deer in Wyoming. This was the first year that I didn't apply in NM. Still plan on getting in Arizona for deer and Idaho, I love this time of year!!

Last edited:

shanevg

WKR
I wouldn't want to focus on deer only. I applied points only for deer and elk in both CO, and NV. I'll be applying points only for both deer and elk in AZ. I did apply for sheep, goat, and moose tags whenever available. I don't really have the vacation time this year but I'd make it work for one of those species. I also applied for deer and elk in Utah (again long odds.)

Did you apply in Montana or Wyoming this year?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
shanevg, best on the sheep/goat/moose.

I did NOT apply for Montana & Wyoming this year. Montana started a points squaring this year, and I only have 3, so it won't help me much. I apply for Montana when I have time to hunt the general season rut, which I won't this year. Maybe next year.
Wyoming was really down last year after the winter kill. I found a few shooters while scouting, but found just as good in Idaho, so decided to focus just on Idaho as I'm trying to pull a muzz tag in either Nv/UT/CO, and they conflicted with the Wy dates. Wyoming is not down for the count, though, and Lord willin' I'll be back.

For the record, I only want to draw one of those muzz tags. It's a curse to have too many tags, as you can't focus. Best of luck.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put in for muzzy tags in Nevada in some long shot hunts,Colorado 2nd choice area (still building points).Montana general,Wyoming,and will put in for Idaho.