Colorado Newbie Looking for a Partner

This one is probably totally out there.

I’ve never hunted a day in my life, and I’m nearing 50. I come from city people — I’m the first person in my family to sleep in a tent and carry a backpack. But I camp a lot, and am an avid fly fisherman (I even got a little on the side). I’m an assistant scout master, and am taking a bunch of scouts, including my son, backpacking into the Indian Peaks Wilderness tomorrow, in fact.

But I’ve got the jones, and have been dreaming of hunting for year. I would like to ease into hunting with something simple — so I’m looking for archery backcountry elk. Simple, right?

I’ve got or can get the gear. I have my hunter ed. I’m getting better with my bow.

I was thinking about getting ready for next season - fall 2020. But I figured I’d throw this out there and see if anyone might be looking for a partner/mentee for a 2019 backcountry elk hunt. Like I said, this one is out there. I’m basically looking to see if there is an experienced CO archery elk hunter who would be willing to have a newbie tag along. I’m in good shape, can follow instructions, can keep quieand can help carry out your meat if you’re successful. I would head out with a bow and a tag, but doubt I would have the chance to use either.

I live in the northern front range north of Denver. If this doesn’t sound totally bat sh—t crazy to you, ping me. We can meet up for a beer on me and explore this out-there idea.

Thanks for readin,
Dave

geoman99

FNG
Doesn’t sound crazy to want to learn a new skill from an experienced expert. It’s the quickest way to get up the learning curve. I don’t archery hunt so can’t help you out but one suggestion I have is to not pass up the opportunity to get out this archery season without a bow and start learning about elk, how to move in the woods, looking for sign, and smells, and everything elk country. Learn how to bugle and cow call and spend some time listening to them. Try to stalk a cow or a bull, see if you can get within range. It’s great experience that will serve you well when you have a tag in your pocket. It’s not hard to teach yourself, it just takes a little time and effort. Good luck and have fun.