Colorado No res. preference point only question.

Am I correct in thinking that for Colorado Non Res. pref. point purchase I have to buy a hunting license before I can apply? Will a small game license work for application purposes and if so can a 1 day license be purchased?

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
It's my understanding you need to buy a qualifying license to be able to buy the point. I believe the cheapest license is a non res turkey. It's been a couple years since I've looked though.

Slugz

WKR

Jakerex

WKR
So for someone who is totally ignorant to this whole process in CO, can someone please break it down as to how to apply for a deer tag? I hope to hunt OTC rifle and would like to see if I can get a deer tag. Thanks I’m advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
razorsharptokill
Here is the response I got nack from Colorado
non resident preference point
GB
Gabrielski - DNR, Bradley <[email protected]>

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Colorado Parks and Wildlife. I understand you are inquiring about submitting big game applications.

Big game applications are accepted on March 1, 2021, and the application deadline is April 6, 2021, at 8 pm MT. Big game applications can be submitted online at cpwshop.com or over the phone at 1-800-244-5613.

Yes, all applications submitted an application for licenses or preference points must purchase a valid qualifying license. Draw applications will not be accessible until you purchase your qualifying license. Licenses must be valid for the current 2021 license year. A 2021 Habitat Stamp will be automatically added when purchasing your qualifying license, if applicable.

Qualifying licenses:
■ annual resident and nonresident small game
■ annual resident combo small game/fishing
■ annual resident senior combo small game/fishing
▶ Annual licenses are valid March 1–March 31 (13 months)
■ resident and nonresident spring turkey
■ NEW resident and nonresident fall turkey (valid for the secondary draw ONLY)
■ resident veteran lifetime combo small game/fishing
■ resident first responder lifetime combo small game/fishing
■ NEW annual small-game license for resident senior lifetime fishing license holders

If you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact us by phone or email.

--
Bradley Gabrielski
Communication Center Wildlife Coordinator

License, Reservations and Customer Operations section
uc

Hunt Plan: 303.291.7526|Main: 303.297.1192|Fax: 303.866.5070

OP
razorsharptokill
So for someone who is totally ignorant to this whole process in CO, can someone please break it down as to how to apply for a deer tag? I hope to hunt OTC rifle and would like to see if I can get a deer tag. Thanks I’m advance

Colorado Parks & Wildlife - Hunt Big Game

NEW: Leftover limited licenses & over-the-counter (OTC) licenses are now on sale the same day, August 3 at 9am.
See the Leftover and OTC licenses page for more information.
Leftover licenses are remaining limited licenses available after primary & secondary draws are completed. They don't require a qualifying license.
OTC licenses are available without having to go through the draw(s). They do not require buying/having a qualifying license, do not use preference points & may be purchased at sales agents around the state, CPW locations, online or by phone.
NEW: There is a new Limited License Reissue process.

You don't have to apply for an OTC tag. Just buy one online or over-the-counter at a retailer/CPW office any time after August 3.

If you do want to apply for a draw tag (or get a preference point), applications are due by April 6. To apply, you'll need to create an account at the CPW website, select the tag(s) you want to try for, buy a qualifying license (annual small game is the cheapest option for non-residents), and submit your application.

ChrisAU

WKR
If you plan on buying an OTC license later don't fret the small game license to get points now. Grouse are plentiful.

To help any nonresidents.. I just completed this process. You must buy/add to cart a nonresident small game license, which comes with a habitat stamp which is combined around 94 dollars. Then you will be able to apply for your big game preference points. The hunt codes are p 999-99-p. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask! Each application is roughly 10 more dollars.

Overdrive

WKR

Colorado doesn't have OTC deer licenses, they are only available thru the drawing, leftovers or turned in leftover. Leftovers go fast or are limited to private land only most of the time. Best bet if you want to hunt is put in the draw.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Colorado doesn't have OTC deer licenses, they are only available thru the drawing, leftovers or turned in leftover. Leftovers go fast or are limited to private land only most of the time. Best bet if you want to hunt is put in the draw.
That's exactly what he asked about. Did you even read his post?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Overdrive

WKR
That's exactly what he asked about. Did you even read his post?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Did you even look at the quote I was responding too? How would you answer almighty know it all? There are NO OTC licenses in Colorado and that is what he's was hoping to get, so he has to apply or get a leftover, answered it pretty simple.

Felix40

WKR
Did you even look at the quote I was responding too? How would you answer almighty know it all? There are NO OTC licenses in Colorado and that is what he's was hoping to get, so he has to apply or get a leftover, answered it pretty simple.
You are misunderstanding. There ARE OTC elk rifle tags. He is asking how to apply for deer to go along with his OTC tag.

Overdrive

WKR
You are misunderstanding. There ARE OTC elk rifle tags. He is asking how to apply for deer to go along with his OTC tag.
Yes I know that and I was explaining to him about how to possibly get a deer license, there are no OTC deer licenses in Colorado. Don't see what was so hard about the explanation.