Colorado novice adult hunter program

Got my 2020 brochure the other day and saw there's a new adult novice hunter program here in CO where they take new inexperienced hunters on mentored hunts. Last season was my first ever, so I'm eligible to apply. I looked on the site and stopped by CPW office but the person I spoke with didn't seem to have much more info than what was in the brochure and on the website. They told me the program is only for certain areas, but that the applicable GMUs won't be displayed on the site til the application opens in mid-April, after the draw closes. So if I understand correctly, I should apply for the draw, and then hope I draw in an area that the program applies to. I can't imagine that's actually how it works. Does anyone have any detailed info on the program? It seems like a great opportunity. I'd be really excited to get some experience in the field with someone who really knows their stuff.

I want to know more about this too. Based on the timeline it seems like you would have to pickup an OTC tag to be able to get in on one of these hunts. Or maybe they will include the tag that you need with signing up?

OP
FirstTimer
I want to know more about this too. Based on the timeline it seems like you would have to pickup an OTC tag to be able to get in on one of these hunts. Or maybe they will include the tag that you need with signing up?
Yea, I thought it might be that they include the tag. But I don't know how limited the availability is so I thought it would make sense to apply for the draw in case you don't get selected. Would just have to hope that getting a tag through the normal draw wouldn't make you ineligible. If it's either/or, as in taking my chances whether I get selected for the program, or taking my chances in the regular draw, I'll definitely just try to get a normal tag. Can't imagine they'd run it that way though.

Gonna call again this week and see if I can get ahold of someone who knows more about it. I'll come back to let you know what they say if we don't get some answers in the forum.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know if they've changed it or not, but it used to be used for new hunters that hadn't completed Hunter's Safety yet. They could get a one-time tag for that year and have to hunt with a qualified hunter with a tag.......so OTC tags. Then they'd have to complete HS to get another tag in future years.

11boo

WKR
If that is the same program my friend was in, they pair you up with a CPW certified volunteer .
he did it a couple years, and really didn’t have anything positive to say about it As the volunteer.

OP
FirstTimer
If that is the same program my friend was in, they pair you up with a CPW certified volunteer .
he did it a couple years, and really didn’t have anything positive to say about it As the volunteer.
According to the website, you're eligible if you've never had a tag, or if the previous year was your first year. That's the boat I'm in. Learned a lot last year and had a close encounter, but came up short.

What did your friend dislike about it as a volunteer? Just having to deal with new hunters or was there something about the way the program works he didn't like?

11boo

WKR
According to the website, you're eligible if you've never had a tag, or if the previous year was your first year. That's the boat I'm in. Learned a lot last year and had a close encounter, but came up short.

What did your friend dislike about it as a volunteer? Just having to deal with new hunters or was there something about the way the program works he didn't like?

He ended up with hunters who were simply not willing to work hard enough to find the elk,
let alone do the work that needs done in camp.

I don't know if they've changed it or not, but it used to be used for new hunters that hadn't completed Hunter's Safety yet. They could get a one-time tag for that year and have to hunt with a qualified hunter with a tag.......so OTC tags. Then they'd have to complete HS to get another tag in future years.

It looks like you have to have completed hunter safety.

I won't have completed hunter safety until close to the end of the application deadline. I'm hoping late applications still receive the same chance to be selected. I'm curious how one would go about finding a mentor outside of this program. I would be ecstatic to have the opportunity to bust my ass hauling heavy stuff for an experienced hunter who is physically less capable than during their glory days!

He ended up with hunters who were simply not willing to work hard enough to find the elk,

I can't say I'm too surprised hearing most people would not work hard enough. Part of that may be just not really knowing how to help. When I would train new raft guides a lot of times they stand around unless told what to do (mainly because they don't know how to setup camp). Another thing could just be a rude awakening that hunting is not driving an ATV or truck to a "secluded spot" then just waiting for a big buck to mosey on by.

OP
FirstTimer
Gotcha. Honestly I worry about the same thing from the other side, that I could end up with someone who just wants to ride around road hunting the whole time. I came up short last year but I busted my ass up and down mountains all day every day. Inexperience is definitely what cost me. If I participate I sure plan to give the mentor reason to enjoy the experience more than your friend did. Anyway, thanks a lot for the input man

OP
FirstTimer
Pretty interested in this myself. Following.
I spoke with the guy heading up the program yesterday. He said it's just getting off the ground this year so he didn't have a ton of details yet, but this is what I got:
- It'll probably be 1-2 days in the field with an experienced hunter, and you might be paired up with a fellow newbie. You'd probably draw straws or something to figure out who gets first shot.
- didn't sound like you'd be eligible if you were successful in the regular draw, since you'd already have a tag and they have special tags for this
- you're not guaranteed selection
- they're trying to get access to a few private spots, but didn't sound like there's much set in stone yet
- they don't know yet whether the tags provided will allow you to keep hunting throughout the rest of that season, once your day or two with the mentor is up.
- (just my guess, not his words) if they get access to an area with both private and public, I can't imagine they wouldn't allow you to try to at least fill that tag on the public for the rest of that season after you've spent a day or two being mentored

All in all, what I took from it was that if you're confident you know enough to get out there on your own and you wanna hunt the whole season, it might be best to just try your luck in the regular draw and search for mentors elsewhere this year. Still, the program could be great if they can build it up right. The guy's name is Bryan and he's out of Denver. Real nice guy, just still in the early stages of trying to sort things out.

Got an update this afternoon:

Some applicants will start to see hunt invitations in the next few weeks. Not all applicants will receive a hunt offer.
Most big game hunts will provide a voucher to the hunter. You will need to take this voucher to a licensing agent to purchase the actual hunting license.

The only other thing I know is the minimum caliber requirement for elk is 270. Bummed me out because I shoot a 6.5 real well, and at the time was my only non 22 cal rifle. I have since bought a 308 and 30-06 😂. I probably won’t get selected anyhow 🙃.