Colorado or NM bird hunting

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a 8 month old GSP at the trainer getting his "education" in. This is my first bird dog and to date I have never been bird hunting other than dove and duck. So i'm totally new at the world of upland hunting. I use to run retriever field trials with my lab before he died and I went through a funk of not wanting another dog and finally decided to just change up everything and go towards upland.

I originally wanted to do a Southwest Nebraska bird hunt this fall/winter with him but got to thinking; with big game draw application season coming and the mandatory purchase of a license, why not hunt one of those states?

I plan to apply to both New Mexico and Colorado for elk, assuming I dont draw (and maybe even if i do) which state and/or area of said state would you recommend? The original appeal to Southwest Nebraska was the chance for grouse, quail, and pheasants. I know that New Mexico as a whole has I believe four different quail species? but Colorado probably has more pheasant? I would be hunting strictly public land if that makes a difference.

So which would you recommend? or should i just stick to the original plan of SW Nebraska?

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
No recommendations for NM or Colorado?

I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos on NM bird hunting. Some of them made it seem like bringing a dog wasn’t really worth it? because the birds run so much you’d have better luck just kicking them up yourself than getting the dog on point? Anybody have experience with this?

WKR
I'd suggest hunting Kansas or Nebraska this fall vs CO. Our birds were very low compared to previous years and we really don't compare to Kansas or Nebraska. I drive out there to those states many times each fall. It's worth the trip though I will say 2019 was a little less productive than 2018 for me and my dog.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only hunted scaled quail in New Mexico but they don’t make for great dog work. I wouldn’t suggest it for a young pointer especially. Nebraska early season sharp tail and prairie chicken would be a fun hunt and those young grouse hold pretty good for a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
anyone have any experience with the Mearn's & Gamble's quail in the south western part of NM? as it relates to dog work?

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
thought i'd revive this thread since turkey hunting is over now and we all start to look forward to upland birds this fall.

i got my GSP back from the trainer in May and had a few sessions back home with some quail i had. he def needs some experience on some wild birds. he's pointing too close to these farm birds that don't get up that easily. with the heat set in here in arkansas training will probably have to be put on hold for a while (had a few of my pen quail die from the heat after i placed them in the field)

NY16ga

FNG
Colorado wouldn't be my first choice although I am planning on a blue grouse hunt there one of these days. I've heard Mearns quail hold well but haven't made it out to NM or AZ to hunt them yet (hopefully in the next year or so) As some others said, early season sharptails hold well for a young dog that's still figuring things out and are a lot of fun. I enjoy crashing through the thick stuff after ruffed grouse and woodcock here in the east but there's something about running pointing dogs on the prairie that is just magical. My wirehair was pretty young (maybe 11 months?) and still learning when I first took her to North Dakota, you just have to go into it knowing that you'll both make mistakes and that's OK. The first sharptail we found she had an absolutely perfect point and retrieve to hand. One of my most memorable hunting moments. Then we got into pheasants and she came unglued, chased them like an idiot for the next two days! Some folks will probably disagree but obviously I'm not a fan of running a young dog on wild pheasants.

Anyway, I guess if I was making this decision I'd be more focused on the kind of experience I wanted to have and what species would set up my young dog for success. I know from experience that early season sharptails are great for that and I'm told that Mearns quail and even blue grouse can be too.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
In case you are still thinking of southwest Nebraska, it's been pretty dry. Meanwhile, the sandhills have been getting a lot of rain. I haven't been out looking for birds back home yet (McCook area), but there weren't many bugs during wheat harvest. I'm not sure how brood survival is looking at this point. It might be worth checking with some boots on the ground there before committing to a trip this year. Conditions are looking pretty good for grouse in the sandhills so far.
Screenshot_20200729-184803_Chrome.jpg

Chet

FNG
I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a 9 month old GSP that’s ready for his first hunting season. Planning to hunt eastern CO and western Nebraska. I also have a NM license, but doubt we will get out there for upland this year.

I spent some time in CO and KS last year with my wirehair who is still learning. Lots of walking in both, but more birds per mile in KS than CO. Colorado public land has 2x many hunters as roosters.

Russp17

WKR
thought i'd revive this thread since turkey hunting is over now and we all start to look forward to upland birds this fall.

i got my GSP back from the trainer in May and had a few sessions back home with some quail i had. he def needs some experience on some wild birds. he's pointing too close to these farm birds that don't get up that easily. with the heat set in here in arkansas training will probably have to be put on hold for a while (had a few of my pen quail die from the heat after i placed them in the field)

Get a bird launcher and launch the bird as soon as he comes into the scent cone and watch it fly away. He will correct his close pointing quickly, if not just lots of wild birds will teach him that lesson.

DEd

FNG
I've hunted Bobwhite and Scaled quail in Eastern NM. There can be lots of birds there, but they are patchy and it takes work to find them. If you're in area with a lot of cattle tanks you might be able to locate some Bobwhite coveys that will hold for a point.

Scalies aren't nearly as water dependent as Bobs. Additionally, they really like to get into the washes/arroyos and ankle twisting areas. Scalies also run, like a lot! If you like walking briskly or practically running behind your GSP to keep pressure on birds, then you will enjoy hunting scalies in NM. If you want to see a dog hold a point like in the magazines and IG Pics, then you will not like scalies. A dog makes hunting scalies really fun, and the dog really helps a lot with funding downed birds as scalies can soak up a load of 7.5 shot from a 12 gauge and find their way into a burrow or cactus pile.

Personally I love hunting scalies, and I wished I could move back to the area, get a good GSP and chase them all season long, but it isn't for everyone.

h8brick

FNG
I currently have a 8 month old GSP at the trainer getting his "education" in. This is my first bird dog and to date I have never been bird hunting other than dove and duck. So i'm totally new at the world of upland hunting. I use to run retriever field trials with my lab before he died and I went through a funk of not wanting another dog and finally decided to just change up everything and go towards upland.

I originally wanted to do a Southwest Nebraska bird hunt this fall/winter with him but got to thinking; with big game draw application season coming and the mandatory purchase of a license, why not hunt one of those states?

I plan to apply to both New Mexico and Colorado for elk, assuming I dont draw (and maybe even if i do) which state and/or area of said state would you recommend? The original appeal to Southwest Nebraska was the chance for grouse, quail, and pheasants. I know that New Mexico as a whole has I believe four different quail species? but Colorado probably has more pheasant? I would be hunting strictly public land if that makes a difference.

So which would you recommend? or should i just stick to the original plan of SW Nebraska?
I went to NEW Mexico last year for the first time and was in birds all day, blues quail, had a blast and tons of points, tons of public i recommend Land of Enchantment my favorite state!!

Saw lots of quail in northern New Mexico up near the Colorado border