Colorado OTC Elk hunting opportunity in late December? please advice

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,
Thanks for stopping by; This is going to be my first Elk trip, I've hunted whitetail before and now it's time to step up my game. I have very good physical fitness and lately been hiking regularly with heavy backpack to maximize my chances of success and to simulate the hunting conditions. Due to family commitment and work schedule I can not take time off before December. I called colorado hunt planner looking for advice but they discouraged me, saying it's gonna be east of I-25 and majority of land are private, Elk numbers are very very low, so he advised me to find outfitter.
That is not an option for me, I wanna go to live the experience and learn.

Any one tried December hunt? what's your experience, any information highly appreciated.

Best wishes to all

I am assuming that you are a non-resident. If so, it’s going to cost you about $800 for the small game license and elk license. That’s a lot of money for a hunt with an extremely low success rate. East of 25 seems like you would not even see an elk. Coupled with potential bad weather in December, sounds like a waste of time.

I did a quick search as I am not familiar with this hunt. It looks like it's a "Late Plains Deer" season (December 1-14), east of I-25 except GMU 140. This would be a tough hunt. This area does not contain a high number of elk, if any. Again, I see it noted as being a "Late Plains Deer" season. I don't know what to think about this one. If you are actually going to do this, make sure that it's an OTC hunt area; I haven't researched enough to verify that.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
That’s right, I am non resident, and Colorado was my only choice since no other state offers OTC in December, ( I think only Colorado offers OTC now). At anyhow, it’s my first time, so if it’s that complicated I’ll just enjoy another whitetail season here and plan it better next year.

Thank you

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
indeed lots of money and time invested here, I saved what can be saved after taking care of my family needs. I’ll start planning for next year’s September or October then.
you guys are amazing. Thank you all

sndmn11

WKR
I am assuming that you are a non-resident. If so, it’s going to cost you about $800 for the small game license and elk license. That’s a lot of money for a hunt with an extremely low success rate. East of 25 seems like you would not even see an elk. Coupled with potential bad weather in December, sounds like a waste of time.
I had thought the small game license was only for qualifying to apply?

I had thought the small game license was only for qualifying to apply?
You are correct with OTC. You just have habitat stamp for $10.40 and not the small game license. Then you have to buy the actual non-res elk license, which is $688 for a bull. So $700, not $800.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
The Unit 128 List "C" late tag is a decent option, if you live in that area and commute regularly. If so, the elk will be there at some point to hunt, and gone without returning for the year.

Outside of that, the elk out there usually remain on private land and dont move. They are there, and you can see them regularly, but honestly it isnt worth the late tags without private access. There are some leftover/reissue plains tags for late season worth having that include little known public areas......but you need to scour the list to find em, and then beat the masses during the computer scramble each week.