Colorado OTC Elk Unit Confusion

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
Im planning to head out west for the 2021 season for an OTC Archery hunt. Im looking through the map and Im having a bit of confusion on a handful of the units. On the map it highlights units 4,5,12,23,24,33 and 441 as valid, private land only. Under the list of huntable units next to the map it says "these licenses are valid on private land in units 4,5,12,23,24,33 and 441". This is where Im a little confused. Does that mean I can still hunt those units with my OTC also allowing landowners to use OTC or is it OTC on private land only? I appreciate the help in advance!Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 22.39.12 PM.png

prm

WKR
I understand that you can use that license on private land only. To hunt public lands you would have had to Put in for and draw a license.

As I understand it, those licenses are good only on Private lands....i.e. you need permission to hunt there (think "hunting ranch", and limited access lands that would cost some extra $$ to hunt, trespass fees, etc. They are not valid on NF, BLM, or State owned land.

OP
Flaboy

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
With an OTC license, one cannot hunt on public land in those units.
I understand that you can use that license on private land only. To hunt public lands you would have had to Put in for and draw a license.
As I understand it, those licenses are good only on Private lands....i.e. you need permission to hunt there (think "hunting ranch", and limited access lands that would cost some extra $$ to hunt, trespass fees, etc. They are not valid on NF, BLM, or State owned land.

Thats what I thought and a bummer too. I had some decent looking waypoints picked out in 4,5 and 12. Thank you for the clarification fellas

There are a few different tags here. OTC allows you to hunt any OTC unit. Draw units restrict you to the specific unit(s) for the tag. There are private land only tags that unit specific and restricts you to the private lands.
Edit: the OTC list is on the left hand part of the page you listed. The tags are good in all of the units.

Last edited:
Those units are draw units for archery. The otc tag is only good for private land in those specific areas.