Colorado OTC Elk Units

mudcat81

FNG
I am looking for some clarification. I cannot find the answer anywhere in the Colorado Big Game guide so I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I am planning on buying a OTC elk permit. Do I have to pick a unit or can I hunt multiple units?

I have been given and read conflicting answers.

I originally assumed that since they are unlimited that it meant a hunter could hunt multiple units during the season.

Thank You

Pow

FNG
Hunting OTC you start to forget where the unit boundaries are because they don't matter. I just took a look at the maps and it is funny how the color for valid units is different for each season/tag white/grey/yellow. That is subgenius.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting OTC you start to forget where the unit boundaries are because they don't matter. I just took a look at the maps and it is funny how the color for valid units is different for each season/tag white/grey/yellow. That is subgenius.

I swore that I read somewhere that tags were only good for a specified unit. That applies to unlimited rifle tags as well?

Pow, I'll be flying into Durango for 3rd season rifle (first elk trip). I'm e-scouting now trying to find my spots. Knowing I can hunt multiple units is awesome, but almost makes it worse trying to narrow down some spots, haha.

Doug

ElkNut1

WKR
Maybe you were looking into Idaho at one time? We are an OTC state too but you must pick a zone, it's not a statewide general unit state like CO is.

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
There was a time when we could hunt the whole state with a tag. Too many hunters now.

ElkNut1

WKR
In Idaho you still can hunt both elk & mule deer at the same time OTC with archery or rifle. We are still in the good ol days! (grin)

ElkNut1

Bar

Banned
In Idaho you still can hunt both elk & mule deer at the same time OTC with archery or rifle. We are still in the good ol days! (grin)

ElkNut1

Every state has it's pros and cons. About all I can say for Colorado is we have a lot of elk.

Pow

FNG
I swore that I read somewhere that tags were only good for a specified unit. That applies to unlimited rifle tags as well?

Pow, I'll be flying into Durango for 3rd season rifle (first elk trip). I'm e-scouting now trying to find my spots. Knowing I can hunt multiple units is awesome, but almost makes it worse trying to narrow down some spots, haha.

The either sex elk tags are by unit, the bull tag is any of the OTC units. I'm not even sure if they have an EE tag for third rifle. I just do archery elk and 2nd or 3rd buck.

Anyway holler at me if you like DougP. I have a second rifle buck tag this year, so by third I'll just be shooting grouse with my 22. By third, there is normally snow that pushes them down, but it depends on how much snow there is how much (if any) the elk have moved.

The either sex elk tags are by unit, the bull tag is any of the OTC units. I'm not even sure if they have an EE tag for third rifle. I just do archery elk and 2nd or 3rd buck.

Anyway holler at me if you like DougP. I have a second rifle buck tag this year, so by third I'll just be shooting grouse with my 22. By third, there is normally snow that pushes them down, but it depends on how much snow there is how much (if any) the elk have moved.

Let's get this straight so no one is confused.

Colorado has OTC elk tags, and no OTC tags are unit specific. You can get archery OTC antlerless, archery OTC either sex, 2nd rifle OTC bull, and 3rd rifle OTC bull. Each of those have their own list of units that are valid and you'll need to check the maps in this year's brochure. Pages 34-36 of this year's brochure. You can hunt in any open unit one day, then in a different unit the next day on OTC tags.

Doug

Doug,

When you get here (Durango) look me up and I can point you in the right direction.

Bar

Banned
Not being a bow hunter when I hear OTC tags I think of rifle tags. The OP needs to tell us what weapon he's using.

AdamW

WKR

Doug

Do the best research you can but don't kill yourself doing it. You'll drive yourself nuts. At least I know I did. It was hard enough narrowing down the area to hunt in a draw unit last year.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not being a bow hunter when I hear OTC tags I think of rifle tags. The OP needs to tell us what weapon he's using.

Doesn't really matter the concept is the same regardless, you can hunt any of the units the tag is good for and do not have to declare one and can move around freely.

Bar

Banned
Doesn't really matter the concept is the same regardless, you can hunt any of the units the tag is good for and do not have to declare one and can move around freely.

I understand that, but there is a difference otherwise.