Colorado OTC ELK

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll play your stupid little game. In the last 5 years I’ve arrows 5 bulls. I’ve called in 4 more that were shot with a bow or ml. So that’s 9 in 5 years. Did we figure anything out based on your question? It’s obvious I’m not on your level...internet expert. Go have a warm beer.

Btw, I went scouting this weekend. I saw 0 elk. Oh no, what am I going to do?!!!!! It’s 6 weeks from September?!

I’ll actually give newbies some help. Finding elk in July might feel good but it means shit. In one spot I hunt, I hunt cameras last year 4th of July. I didn’t see more than 1-2 elk a week until 3rd week in August. Then I saw elk on camera throughout the day and night. They were there all September. So, yes, finding elk is fun, but most elk you find in July are somewhere else in September. You’re much better off finding old game trails, wallows, and rubs. I’ll post some pictures because unlike internet experts, pictures aren’t full of shit. Find a spot like this and you’ll find elk in September, even in high pressure otc areas.

Attachments

• 028EFCAE-C5BE-40E7-9989-746333FDBA5C.jpeg
    028EFCAE-C5BE-40E7-9989-746333FDBA5C.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 3CD7F7DB-DE56-4630-9038-A719B7333982.jpeg
    3CD7F7DB-DE56-4630-9038-A719B7333982.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 95
  • C10FC07E-2EEA-43C4-AB80-022ECF1D312C.jpeg
    C10FC07E-2EEA-43C4-AB80-022ECF1D312C.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 798DC60C-F23A-4B10-A425-C62AEA44FAE2.jpeg
    798DC60C-F23A-4B10-A425-C62AEA44FAE2.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll play your stupid little game. In the last 5 years I’ve arrows 5 bulls. I’ve called in 4 more that were shot with a bow or ml. So that’s 9 in 5 years. Did we figure anything out based on your question? It’s obvious I’m not on your level...internet expert. Go have a warm beer.

Btw, I went scouting this weekend. I saw 0 elk. Oh no, what am I going to do?!!!!! It’s 6 weeks from September?!

I’ll actually give newbies some help. Finding elk in July might feel good but it means shit. In one spot I hunt, I hunt cameras last year 4th of July. I didn’t see more than 1-2 elk a week until 3rd week in August. Then I saw elk on camera throughout the day and night. They were there all September. So, yes, finding elk is fun, but most elk you find in July are somewhere else in September. You’re much better off finding old game trails, wallows, and rubs. I’ll post some pictures because unlike internet experts, pictures aren’t full of shit. Find a spot like this and you’ll find elk in September, even in high pressure otc areas.

I’ve got an idea...don’t read this thread if you’re so bothered by it. I was enjoying it until your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR

Solid advice and thank you for the photos. No expert at elk hunting but my scouting this summer has been mostly looking for exactly what you described: wallows, rubs, beds and heavy game trails in the same location. I saw elk at 13k bedding in the open but knew they wouldn't be there when hunting season rolled in. I figured they use the wallows and rubs during rutting season and since I found a location with multiple wallows over a mile, many years of rubs, and heavy game trails I hope I have a scouted location bulls may show up in when September rolls around. Right under the nose of a heavily used area by all sorts of people traffic too. I found a wallow that looked to have been used in June, but my hunting buddy / mentor says they really don't use the wallows until August / September. Do they use the wallows just in the summer in general to stay cool?

OP
C
What happened to the other 5 years? Also, you killed 4, not 9 so don't post fake inflated numbers. We get enough of that from our daily fake news channels. 4 out of 5 years is great hunting. Well done.

Finding elk in July does matter. You keep insisting on scouting and seeing elk in July is useless. I call bullshit. So you see a herd of elk at timberline. Now, you drop in there and see rubs and old wallows. What does that mean? It means it's a pretty flipping good area come September. Finding elk wallows, and rubs is great. Finding them with elk herds right above them, is even better. How could you not hit that opening day? Now you find 10 spots like that over the course of the summer and your backup plans just got a lot more dependable.

Obviously elk can and do move large distances for a variety of reasons nobody is denying that. Also, opening weekend pressure will send then into other areas quickly. Nobody is denying that. I would take years of seeing elk in September and their locations over what I see in July any day of the week, no question. But its summer, what else do you have to do? Oh, I know, get on a thread and tell me how useless summer scouting is when my success rate is twice that of yours if we're going off of 5 years. As shitty as this may sound, your opinion means nothing to me and seeing elk now, in July, does tell me there are elk in the dreaded "OTC" units which was the whole point of this thread.

Maybe go start a thread titled "Why scouting in July sucks" to keep up with your negative vibes. In the meantime, I'll keep posting positive sightings to get people pumped up for the fall.

OP
C
Some boy elk otc .... elk really out this weekend due to all the rain.

Attachments

• 284FDD40-5B69-42F5-B56C-7A4D0AC326A1.jpeg
    284FDD40-5B69-42F5-B56C-7A4D0AC326A1.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 65
OP
C
Another set

Attachments

• FE48A51A-D99A-42CD-9AC0-DFDDFB126906.jpeg
    FE48A51A-D99A-42CD-9AC0-DFDDFB126906.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 66

Gerbdog

WKR
Worst part of OTC .......
Yea that's been my experience all summer this year, even leaving mid week or getting back into town on a Monday. I'm sure its my imagination but feels like there are a lot more people getting outside this summer compared to last.

11boo

WKR
I have never seen so many camps on the grand Mesa midweek as I did last week.

I have a feeling bow season is gonna be a mob scene.

Also saw some elk, and micro brookies. Took the brookies, left the elk.

They were tasty with some backstrap, bacon and Olathe sweet.
2D5BC6F6-0E38-48A0-A217-5942CE53595F.jpeg

Poser

WKR
I think that finding elk in July is useful, but you have to contextualize it and consider where they might disappear to. Scout areas with old sign from last year, but little to no new sign, for example.