Colorado OTC question

MattShiz

FNG
Hello all,

this is my first post on here. I am an out of state hunter from Ohio and am considering my options for elk hunting at this time for 2021. My question is, if I end up choosing an OTC tag in Colorado, can I still obtain a preference point in this state?

WyoKid

WKR
Yes. Apply for the point/limited draw first. Wait until after the draw and then buy OTC when they go on sale.

cnelk

WKR
Do some research and find draw units that go to second choice.

Then when you apply, put in for a PP first choice and the draw unit the second choice. WIN -WIN.

If for some reason you dont draw, you can either watch the leftover list for a tag or buy an OTC tag when available.

Anymore, most any draw unit is better than OTC

OP
M

MattShiz

FNG
For now, yes, you can do that. Hopefully that changes soon.
Do some research and find draw units that go to second choice.

Then when you apply, put in for a PP first choice and the draw unit the second choice. WIN -WIN.

If for some reason you dont draw, you can either watch the leftover list for a tag or buy an OTC tag when available.

Anymore, most any draw unit is better than OTC
Great advice. I have been on gohunt for hours each day, and trying to find the best route to take, as my friend and I plan to hunt elk every year from here on out, and felt as though OTC would be a good first time to learn without high expectations, but it sounds more and more from my podcast listening and research that OTC can be quite difficult with the amount of hunters. I will look for a few units with decent draw odds and perhaps go for a limited entry tag of lesser demand

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted OTC units in Colorado for a few (not many) years, so take my account with a huge grain of salt. This year, I still hunted the same OTC unit we have been, but I drew 4th season, so it was a draw only season. We also hunted during open seasons (2nd and 3rd), as my son had a cow tag. All I can say is that the hunter density difference was night and day. We hunted the same areas, but during 2nd and 3rd, sometimes it felt more like a hunter convention than hunting. Come 4th, that changed dramatically. The one thing we did find is distance from main roads etc. does not necessarily get you some space, especially considering the number of ATV roads and people's willingness to hike/camp. But nastiness of terrain/weather and the resulting potential difficult packout seems to help out. In the case of where my son killed his cow, it was in a place where I was told most people don't want to go. One local I was talking to told me, yeah, most people don't want to hunt there due to the terrain....so we had it to ourselves even though it was not all that far from roads etc.
All that is to say....draw seasons, and I assume draw units, seem to offer a better hunt. OTC provides an instant opportunity, however. Hard decision to make, and I guess you could apply in a draw unit and then head out to the OTC unit until you draw there, but one thing to also consider, there is a lot to be said for finding a unit you like and then sticking with it for several seasons. We did better this year because we are learning the wheres and whens of our unit. Every year, we get a bit better.

OP
M

MattShiz

FNG
Thanks for the response. I knew there would be plenty of other hunters on OTC, but it sounds like it’s PLENTY of hunters. We are now leaning toward high draw rate unit. Thank you!