Colorado OTC Units

jkilburg

FNG
I’ve been compiling my research on Colorado OTC units, and have been looking at some of the more remote wilderness areas available. One question I was curious about is how possible is it to get away from people in some of these wilderness areas? Have you all generally seen that people will limit their distances? I’m looking at a 5-6mi hike in one way, and based on some of the stats, these units are heavily hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
Colorado OTC is a joke mostly. I mean there are some places to get away from people in some units but for the most part you will be finding other hunters. And just because you find a place without other people that doesn’t necessarily equate to there being elk there. If you go OTC best bet is 7-9 miles in minimum or shorter if the terrain really sucks. Both of those scenarios present issues with meat care if you kill.

If you go enjoy what is likely the last few years of OTC and enjoy the mountains.

While I agree with the above posts, there is a TON of land available to hunt. As long as you don’t call out the units and drainages you plan on hunting on Rokslide, you can still have large areas and in some cases mountains to yourself.

Gerbdog

WKR
Check some of the other threads for hunting CO OTC. Theoretically there is a sweet spot between road hunters and outfitters / folks with horses ... usually in that 3-4 mile range ....

All OTC units get hit heavily with hunters, there are elk in all of the OTC units also .... My advice to anyone heading out looking for elk in OTC units is just look for the absolute worst place you could imagine trying to hike up onto... and then go up there and have a look around.

OP
J

jkilburg

FNG
Thanks guys. I’ve been very careful to omit specific locations as I know it doesn’t make for good conversation. The biggest problem I’ve seen with most wilderness areas in Colorado is that they’re typically easier to access via the NFS trails. Length off the road is certainly a deterrent, but not as big of one anymore. I’m expecting some people, but want to avoid the heavy crowds.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Thanks guys. I’ve been very careful to omit specific locations as I know it doesn’t make for good conversation. The biggest problem I’ve seen with most wilderness areas in Colorado is that they’re typically easier to access via the NFS trails. Length off the road is certainly a deterrent, but not as big of one anymore. I’m expecting some people, but want to avoid the heavy crowds.

Look for big areas with no trails. Then bushwack in. Sucks but big help.

bz_711

WKR
In CO, I feel it's all the recreationalist that represent more pressure than other hunters...hikers, fisherman, UTV/ATV, Jeepers, photographers, stoners, etc...the amount of people in CO has skyrocketed in over last 10 years. Even had a guy living in a 4x8 enclosed trailer in our campground one year:)
(I'm referencing Sept Archery - one of the busiest seasons in CO for all things outdoors)

But, I'll be back as well...struck out in WY with 3 PP this year.

Have you hunted elk before?
Good Luck!

I’ve been compiling my research on Colorado OTC units, and have been looking at some of the more remote wilderness areas available. One question I was curious about is how possible is it to get away from people in some of these wilderness areas? Have you all generally seen that people will limit their distances? I’m looking at a 5-6mi hike in one way, and based on some of the stats, these units are heavily hunted.

I went on on an OTC 3rd rifle hunt in a wilderness area last year and never saw another soul. Literally not one human. Until the hike out got to the truck and met two guys heading in on horseback. Drove the fs road and there were trucks and guys everywhere. May be a totally different scenario during archery but who knows…I’ll find out this year.

dtrkyman

WKR
Last time I hunted there I went in anywhere from 1 to 8 miles, guess where I was on elk, 1.25 miles from a major trail and camp.

Found a hard to access basin full of sign.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
In areas that have good trails miles don't matter much. Go where the ponies, bicycles, e-bikes, etc. don't go.

Most hunters do not stray too far from a trail, or go down into steep stuff where the hike back up is nasty.

pfraze

FNG
In my experience, you are not going to get away from people in Colorado OTC units. In recent years, I have been looking for ways to use people to my advantage. Everyone on here, (me included, when I started out) hits the trail head, puts on a pack and starts putting down boot leather. Lately, I have been looking at that and trying to determine where elk may end up when that influx of hunters starts to put pressure on those areas 3-4 miles in. From experience, if you roll up to a trail head in an over the counter unit with a lack of vehicles, don't think you hit the jackpot. In my case, that meant the elk aren't in that area, even though they were plentiful in that area the previous year. Good luck to you

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Also keep in mind that hiking in 6 miles at 10,000ft is brutal.

If you're solo (assuming you go no further in) that's 5ish trips with 60-80 lbs of meat on your back assuming you kill an animal. Which is like 60 miles round trip and you still have to drag your camp out. Even if you're a bad ass its still going to take a minimum of 3 trips which is 36 miles plus camp to car (so 42 total).

Probably a good idea to take that into account as well.

Just remember...You can't out hike a horse. I've walked my butt off to what I thought would be a great spot way back only to find 2-3 horses tied up.
Generally speaking, you're not gonna hunt for days in an OTC unit without running into other hunters so don't stress out or get upset about it. They're just there doing the same thing you are. Have a plan A-E for the day & roll with it.
The best thing you can do is leave the tent before daylight & come back after dark. Be persistent & hunt hard. Every hour is precious & you can find elk at any time of the day & close to other hunters so be ready to take advantage of opportunities.
Have fun & enjoy yourself!

OP
J

jkilburg

FNG
Appreciate all your guys’ feedback. 5-6mi is a way back, yes. I’m sure it will be grueling, but I’ll let the elk (hopefully) dictate how far we really go. There’s (3) of us going in, and undoubtedly, once we leave the trail, I’m sure we’ll experience plenty of dark timber and blow downs which may deter us.

But, we’ve been preparing for those long trips for the last year.

I used to believe it was important to get back as far as possible. After following a few members thoughts on this topic over the past few years, I have changed my mind almost entirely. You just have to put a little thought into where the crowds will push the elk. Be willing to hike 3/4 of a mile up an incline that most others won't. Look for the small dark holes that could be holding elk. It doesn't need to be 10miles deep