Colorado Outfitter using helicopter to push elk? Castle Peak

jmann28

FNG
Anyone heard the details on this? Spoke with a BLM officer and was told an outfitter near Castle Peak was using a helicopter to harass the elk and push them north over castle peak (unit 35). I assume if the BLM has authority to lay a serious hammer down on this asshole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
I hope so. Few years back, the day before season opened there was a plane buzzing the area I was scouting. Buzzed low several times. Next day I ran in to the guy while hunting and he told me it was him. Either worked for forest service or was retired from forest service. Seems like a conflict of interest 🤣 But was the day before season so I think it was legal at least

ZDR

WKR
Gila Wilderness - had a plane flying ~100' over the tree tops in the wilderness. We were up on a 8K+ peak looking down at it. Sent the info to my wife via inreach (including the tail #) and she called it in the the Game & Fish only to be told it would nothing they could do about it and that they had many complaints on this already. So pissed...talked to a guy that saw them pushing a large herd of elk out of an area called Aeroplane mesa onto a different unit with large private ranches...
Shocked that the G&F turned a blind eye to it.

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
As frustrating as it is, I am sure it’s hard for G&F to show proof in order to prosecute the acts. A video showing what is going on with visible tail numbers would likely help though?

OP
J

jmann28

FNG
As frustrating as it is, I am sure it’s hard for G&F to show proof in order to prosecute the acts. A video showing what is going on with visible tail numbers would likely help though?

Supposedly somebody was taking pics and they know who he is. Does the BLM have more power than Division of Wildlife Officers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
For years there was an outfitter that would fly his plane over and spot the elk, then bring his clients in to that area.

ZDR

WKR
I'm sure its difficult to prosecute, but its terribly frustrating to bust your butt only to have cheaters openly flouting the law. I see this act the same as poachers. BTW, I did get the tail #, but not on video. My hunting buddy did as well + some other hunters we talked to at the trailhead later. Everyone was pissed.

Might be able to swing it as a harassment towards hunters. Multiple people claiming a plane with the same tail number buzzing them while they were actively hunting.

Gerbdog

WKR
Also had reports of a plane pushing elk in the Gila this first archery season. What can you do? He was obviously just out enjoying a flight over some beautiful country....

Fatcamp

WKR
Gila Wilderness - had a plane flying ~100' over the tree tops in the wilderness. We were up on a 8K+ peak looking down at it. Sent the info to my wife via inreach (including the tail #) and she called it in the the Game & Fish only to be told it would nothing they could do about it and that they had many complaints on this already. So pissed...talked to a guy that saw them pushing a large herd of elk out of an area called Aeroplane mesa onto a different unit with large private ranches...
Shocked that the G&F turned a blind eye to it.

That kind of stuff in NM wouldn't surprise me at all. That said, saw a plane flying loops over the edge of public here in SD the evening before antelope opener. Pushing everything on to private. Makes a guy feel a little odd, being so respectful of private land and all.

Reactions: ZDR
Just another hurdle for the OTC public guy. Crazy how all summer, there isn't a soul out there, come elk season, the crazy's come out in droves.

Reactions: ZDR

fishslap

WKR
Had a small plane circling low over wilderness elk country for quite a while on Monday. You could tell they were looking for something and it’s hard to think that it wasn’t some aerial scouting. This was northwest Colorado.