Colorado Partners

GCMan

FNG
I'd like a good hunting partner for western hunting.

These are my personal criteria.
1) you have been on a solo big game hunt. I am social but it's not a requirement when I hunt. I hunt solo a lot. I spend the day hunting not around the campfire.
2) you're in good shape. how to measure that? can hike 3-5 miles a day in the mountains. Can you haul elk out with a backpack.
3) you don't mind 2 or 3 day away for the vehicle and tent camping away from the road.

I am thinking southern Colorado Elk early season Oct. 16 -20, 2022. I have 1 pp.
I hunt MO and IA Whitetail and Colorado mule deer. Ready for an Elk hunt.

Last edited:
OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
It's criteria. Very black and white, either you can't or can. If I just say "good" shape, that's way to ambiguous and there's too much room on fudging and interpretation. I don't see how you can cover 2 to 4 miles in mountainous terrain and not be able to run 10 minute mile which is not difficult.

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
This is first rely that made any sense to me. Thanks. That solo elk hunt is sounding better with every reply. And when I said 2 to 4 miles I meant by foot - not on your ATV. Criteria #4 - you can't use an ATV for hunting purposes.

packer58

WKR
All kidding aside, I understand that you don't want some out of shape guy that can't keep up and gets homesick after a day or two............but, your post did seem a little harsh. As was mentioned, there are some very good hunters that can't do a 10 minute mile. In the end it's your invite and your rules.

OP
GCMan

GCMan

FNG
Go read about all the bad hunts because of a poor partnership or someone who flakes out on someone else. I've been there and I would rather hunt alone than with bad company. That's my prerogative. Wow. I didn't really expect this reaction and really don't want look here much further. Obviously if you take offense to "criteria", not need to reply. I expected PMs from people wanting to hunt - not this.
The first paragraph... You want someone to come with you so they can help you haul your elk out?
So is this what they call trolling? Obviously, I would carry my partner's elk out but I didn't think I needed to explain that.

Don't take it too personal man, the 10 minute mile thing rubs people the wrong way apparently. Even serious mountain hunters are just out there to have fun, not pass a physical fitness test or hunt with a track and field coach.