Colorado Partners

to the OP, my neutral and unbiased response is this, the fact that you posted a "criteria" is likely the biggest problem you may have with finding someone and what led to these responses. I understand wanting someone who will keep up and carry their weight but to expect someone to be you or just like you, its not realistic. hunting to me is being out there for the experience and making friends if the situation arises, it doesnt matter if the person is an olypic athlete or a cheeseburger athlete so long as you have a good time. if another person is out there also doing a solo hunt then realistically they have the same desire as you and that should be enough, if its not then you can always part ways. I will tell you this, if something should ever happen out there I personally wouldnt care who or what comes to my aid.
that being said my criteria is someone who is about 120lbs, long blond hair and is good to look at in the dark lol

All the Rokslide emphasis on fitness makes me laugh sometimes. The most successful elk hunters I know are cattle ranchers that spend zero time in the gym or at high elevation in the off season. They know their area well, know where the elk are, what they'll be doing during the season and they go in and kill em on public land OTC tags, including a 340" bull a few years ago. I've hunted with them a lot, they get winded, take a bunch of breaks and we end up packing meat way more often than not.

I'd rather hunt with an out of shape, experienced, knowledgeable elk hunter than some super athlete any day of the week. I sometimes wish I were in better shape but for some reason my hands end up bloody and my pack gets really heavy several times every fall.
Weird, I didn't realize it was an either or proposition... I also spent quite a bit of time guiding in the flat tops with those out of shape ranchers. If you have the luxury to keep tabs on the herd year round you're probably right- you don't need much fitness. Fitness will allow you to hunt longer for more years and benefit you more in life than just hunting though. Not many people have the opportunity to follow the herd year round either.