Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9+

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

street

WKR
I won't burn points this year unless its a miracle draw. Could be interesting to see what happens to some of the 2nd choice drawn out tags.

Since the app dealine is past and I don't believe it to be extended again for another 50k apps over the weekend, therefore I'm not jeapordizing my app strategy:
- 4th deer will be a killer season the next 5 years with very few allocated tags for those that accumulated points.
- 3rd wiill be the new 4th with fewer and fewer tags allocated over the years.
- I see very, very few combined 4th hunts (deer/elk) actually occurring henceforth. I am banking on the later 4th season elk to be a ghost town out here on the slope. Thanksgiving, unprepared hunters due to winter conditions, 5 day season, general freezing misery, and elk down on private land for the winter will leave only the brave to tough it out. The previous dates for 4th season already weeded out so many.
- I am not happy the mature deer will die during 4th. The CWD managment argument is horseshot in my opinion. "Opportunity" is Colorado's motto. Use either bathroom you'd like.
- Point creep will be disgusting. But, those that have them, have done their work. It is not their fault. We all know management has never caught up with the times.

Last edited:
Point creep is only going to get worse and worse. Especially when wolves start thinning back the herds along with continued drought and poor Winter range conditions. The 500 lb.gorilla soon to show its ugly face when residents of Colorado start demanding a 90/10 for all species like deer and elk and not just moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goats. Most Western states have now gone to a 90/10 Resident to NR allocation system. I would advise anyone holding points to cash them in as it’s only going to get WORSE.

ColoradoV

WKR
I know a bucket load of guys that put in with 4+ of what a unit took historically one put in 10+ more..

One thing I dont know that has been mentioned that if the deer are not there you cant shoot them.. Or the later dates will do more for small bucks getting wacked than anything else. Some folks think these big deer "come out of the wood work" what ever that means but if you have been around deer they dont come out of the woodwork or if they dont exist you will have trouble killing them.

Point creep is a moot point for a guy like me as I focus on finding the deer first and the license second as there is absolutely no unit in colorado I can trust that will currently and consistently produce a trophy buck. It does not exist.

So I would say not worry about tags, trends, or what other hunters are doing as none of it matters - if you are putting in the work year in and year out to find deer over many units there will always be one great one.. On the flip side of that coin if you are putting 10-15 or more years of hopes n 200" dreams into any 8-9 day hunting cycle - unless it is private land -I would get to know the number 150-160 real well because again if they dont exist.......

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
My buddy and I put in for a unit where I have 3+ and he has 2+ over what it took last year.

if your hunting for a true trophy (180 class) I would not apply for unit 67. Youngest son had a third season tag We scouted for 2 1/2 days prior and hunted hard for six days never saw a single buck that would break 180.
Talked to 2 different landowner tag holders who both have hunted 67 for 20 plus years. They had the same experience we had. Told us that 67 had not been a good hunt since 2018 and that quality had been steadily regressing since

The unit I applied for took 13 points to be 100% as a NR. We averaged 12 and got lucky. This unit took 7 points last year for the 3rd season hunt so it jumped 6 points. We had a fun hunt but with no weather we did not find the better bucks. Killed a 160ish buck on my 5th day in the unit. I can not say I found anything bigger, only a couple bucks that looked similar to the buck I shot.Co Deer.jpg

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck. Are you saying you averaged 12 points in a group application?