Colorado Points

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't done my homework hear yet guys so be be easy on me. I'm an elk hunter that would like to branch out some day...
I will have 3 goat points after this year and im just curious how many points do you need in CO for a decent hunt? I will probably go with an outfitter because I spend all of my time chasing elk and deer and I likely wouldnt be able to go until 2026 with the hunts I already have planned. So that will put me going into the draw with 7 in 2026. Any good outfitters welcome as well. Thanks.

They claim your "weighted" points give you an advantage. I think it's a hoax. Look through the draw recap reports, it appears totally random.

Your first three points get you in the drawing. Every one thereafter just leads you to believe your odds got better.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I've talked to guys that drew with 1 or 2 weighted....and some that took 15-20 years. Don't plan anything until you draw....but always put in cuz you might draw!

Since you have 3, you're in. Now it's simply up to luck. As an example, I've drawn 2 sheep tags with very low point totals in the past. My first ram with 3+0, my second with 3+3. In that same time, I've yet to "draw" a goat tag. Sitting on max points.

For moose, goat and sheep, each point after 3 should increase your odds slightly on paper but... the increasing number of applicants each year that hit the 3 pt minimum effectively erases this increased probability. Take a look at the primary draw results in 2020 for moose and youll see that statewide for residents, each weighted point after 2 doesnt do much.... This graph is mostly a product of less people having 10+ points and it doesn't mean your odds go down as you get more weighted points...However most tags statewide went to people with 2 weighted (5 total) points. This gives my little pea brain pause when considering buying more weighted points after I hit two.

1615405523817.png

It's all random. There was 4 non residents with 0 points that beat out 15 residents with 22 points for a moose tag last year.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned in several posts above, don't get too excited after you have 3 pts. Although it is expensive to apply for additional pts it isn't really worth it unless they change their draw system so that having additional pref pts means something!