Colorado PP 1st, 2nd-4th choice question

Getting my game plan together for this fall…

Planning on putting in for MT and WY general tags. I drew MT last year so my odds are low, but if I draw I’ll go there and withdrawal my WY application as I know a particular area in MT really well and have a ton of confidence. I’m applying WY under special with 3 points, which with point creep probably won’t be a sure thing like last year.

3rd option is CO. I was planning on buying a PP there anyway just like last year, but I was considering putting in for 1st rifle districts that drew with 0 points for options 2-4 during the CO application.

Let’s say I draw WY and CO on one of my alternate choices before payment is due in CO, can I simply decline my CO 1st rifle tag and still hold onto my two preference points?

Wanted to make sure I understood how turning down CO tags worked before I settled on the plan.

Thanks!

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Let’s say I draw WY and CO on one of my alternate choices before payment is due in CO, can I simply not pay for my CO 1st rifle tag and still hold onto my two preference points?

No. In Colo- You have a choice of getting your $$ back or PPs back. One or the other.

OP
B
No. In Colo- You have a choice of getting your $$ back or PPs back. One or the other.
Even though I would assume you aren’t using any points on choices 2-4?

Or am I wrong that you don’t use any points on those choices?

Thats an interesting question, they don't address here:

I imagine they would be not too happy about non-payment. Reads likes like you can get your PP and money back, after you pay, as long as it is 30 days before season. Good question to ask them directly, let the forum know what CPW says.

But as has been pointed out, is this a second choice tag in CO, or is it a first choice tag, just hunting CO is your 4th choice?

If it is that first one, you won't use your points in the draw, and you can get a refund, as long as its 30 days before the season. I would ask them directly though if failing to pay would preserve your points...somehow I doubt it.

OP
B
Thats an interesting question, they don't address here:

I imagine they would be not too happy about non-payment. Reads likes like you can get your PP and money back, after you pay, as long as it is 30 days before season. Good question to ask them directly, let the forum know what CPW says.

But as has been pointed out, is this a second choice tag in CO, or is it a first choice tag, just hunting CO is your 4th choice?

If it is that first one, you won't use your points in the draw, and you can get a refund, as long as its 30 days before the season. I would ask them directly though if failing to pay would preserve your points...somehow I doubt it.
Sorry, edited my OP for clarity. I’d say “decline the tag” as you don’t pay until the draw is complete. Colorado is my 3rd choice as far as states, but I was thinking I could put PP only for first choice, and wanted to make sure I could decline if I drew my 2-4 choice without losing points and or (much) money.

Last edited:
CPW is good at getting you refunded if you need to cancel. Just do so 30 days before the season and they charge you $25 processing. You just mail in the license and they issue the refund. I have had to do this twice in recent years.

My word choice was poor, I meant to say up to 30 days before the season, $25 fee. You are correct if it's 30 days or less there's a doctors approval as the only option I'm aware of.

parshal

WKR
Death of an immediate family member (parent or child per my phone call) is also allowed within 30 days. You have to be able to prove you weren't in the field when the season started. I investigated that this year when my mother passed two days before my antelope hunt (I blew 19 points on the hunt).

Application for Refund - Read the grey box at the bottom

OP
B
Direct from CO Parks and Wildlife

Good Morning and thank you for your email.

An application correction or withdraw of an application can be made before the application deadline. Once applications are closed, a correction or a withdraw is not an option.

For 2021, the license can be submitted for a refund or preference point restoration once the license has been received by the license holder, not before. The deadline to submit a license refund is 30-days prior to the start of the season. Since the 1st choice listed is for a preference point only and not for a draw license, points are not used for an awarded license in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th position listed on the application, which means, if the awarded license is submitted for a refund, it would be for a monetary amount (minus the processing fee), not points as points were not used to draw the license. Please note - draw licenses for any choice are never a guarantee to be drawn. To have a better understanding on how the hunt code drew out in past seasons, please see this page and select the report for 'Draw Recap"

If submitting a refund for a license, please see this page for this year's process. This will be the same page that will be used for the 2022 process. This is the page to our Regulations Brouchers page, and it has the PDF for the 2021 Big Game Brochure. This will be the same page that will be used when the 2022 BGB that is posted in mid-February. The last page of the brochure will list all the important dates to know for applications, corrections, deadlines, results, etc.

There will be some regulation changes for the 2022 season that would affect the surrounding of the license within a certain time frame once draw results are posted but it will not be known until the 2022 BGB is posted in mid-February. On page 1 of each brochure, there is a section called 'What is new for 20YY'. This will list all the regulations and process changes for that year.

Colorado Parks and Wildlife reminds our outdoor recreationists that it is your responsibility to research and understand the specific guidance, ordinances and restrictions in place for any planned local recreation - know before you go.

Thank you and have a wonderful winter season.”

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffmacdonald77