colorado preferance points

hey guys me and my friends are wanting to do a colorado mule deer hunt. 2 of us have 0 preferance points and the other has a few since his dad started putting in for him when he was younger. ideally i would not want to have him waste his points. if we apply at a 0 point unit and get first pick will he lose his points?

If you draw a tag with a First Choice then you will loose all preference points. Colorado does not average group points, so it goes off the lowest point holder. In this case 0.

it’s debatable if allowing group averaging for points would help or hurt long term point creep... (short term it would go up)

OP
gigandet642016
If you draw a tag with a First Choice then you will loose all preference points. Colorado does not average group points
ok thanks! is there a way we can set it up without him losing his points? or is it best to pick a different state? (idaho OTC)

ok thanks! is there a way we can set it up without him losing his points? or is it best to pick a different state? (idaho OTC)
You could all put a preference point as your first choice and the tag you're trying to get as second choice. That would guarantee you to all gain a preference point and (theoretically) give you a chance at also drawing the tag without anyone losing points (actually gaining one point). You could look at historical draw reports to see if there's a reasonable chance of drawing that tag as second choice.

Last edited:

Eli80

FNG
I would call Colorado parks and wildlife. A lot of times it’s the luck of the draw with who answers as far as what you’ll get but I’ve had a lot of luck calling other state offices.

Seth

WKR
A point for first choice and a tag you can draw as a second choice would work. There are also OTC, leftover, and reissued tags which won’t use points.

Do you all want to hunt together? If that’s the case you should plan on putting in together for a 2nd choice tag. You will have to learn how to read the draw odds, recap etc to pick a unit you should draw as a 2nd choice

When looking at the numbers if you're not familiar with them, find a deer unit that people drew as a 2nd choice, then you'd want to find one that has better odds than others. So if there's a unit that people drew their 3rd choice, that'd give you good odds to all draw it 2nd choice. Keep in mind, those units that can be drawn 2nd or 3rd choice are typically not going to be very good hunting and likely a lot of other hunters as well. Another option would be to have some of your group consider an elk tag since there will be OTC bull elk tags for 2nd and 3rd season.

Lytro

WKR
I'm not sure if the new regs book still has this since they introduced the 2nd draw a couple years ago, but hunts that had leftover tags the previous year used to be identified in the book. Otherwise you just have to sift through the previous draw recaps. You can all apply for a preference point as your first choice, and the hunt you want as your second choice. You'll all at least gain a point that way, and possibly draw as well.

Personally, I would put in a group app for one of the better NM units and just apply for a CO preference point in the first draw. If you draw NM, you'll have a hell of a hunt in a premier muley unit. If you don't draw NM, you can apply for a hunt in the CO second draw or pick up a leftover.

OP
gigandet642016
I'm not sure if the new regs book still has this since they introduced the 2nd draw a couple years ago, but hunts that had leftover tags the previous year used to be identified in the book. Otherwise you just have to sift through the previous draw recaps. You can all apply for a preference point as your first choice, and the hunt you want as your second choice. You'll all at least gain a point that way, and possibly draw as well.

Personally, I would put in a group app for one of the better NM units and just apply for a CO preference point in the first draw. If you draw NM, you'll have a hell of a hunt in a premier muley unit. If you don't draw NM, you can apply for a hunt in the CO second draw or pick up a leftover.
thats a great idea! thank you!

WKR
Most units have black bears. 0 point guys go for deer and buddy buys a bear tag.