Colorado Prefernce Points

Whip

WKR
I've done my apps for CO deer & elk points but have never bought points for antelope there since I don't hunt them often and have just gone to WY or Montana when I did. Wondering if antelope preference points in CO do much for DIY archery hunting unless you have a pile of them. Most of the archery draw units look like a lot of private land or take a pile of points to draw. I know most of the good antelope hunting in the state is in the east and predominately on private land and it looks like most all of that is OTC, so the problem seems like it isn't having enough points, it's gaining access or paying for a guide.

I guess since I already have the license for the deer & elk apps it's cheap enough to add on antelope and I'll probably go ahead and do that. But just wondering what I might hope to accomplish by starting to build points.

Jimss

WKR
If you like antelope hunting there are quite a few scattered units with decent public land that don’t take a pile of pts to draw. If you want b&c I would search elsewhere.

OP
W

Whip

WKR
I did go ahead and buy a point. I guess once I have a few I'll start looking deeper to see what I might be able to do with them.
On a somewhat related question, is all of the east part of the state locked up by outfitters? Is there such a thing as knocking on doors or trespass fees?
Thanks!

Hell, I call it cost averaging. . . If you just buy elk and deer your looking at $60 per point. . . If you pick up an antelope an bear point your down to about $33 per point.

Don't ask me what I'm going to use 4 bear points. . . But by God when I need them I'll have them.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m not a fan of Colorado antelope. It’s a shit show and frankly pretty dangerous. The amount of people driving roads is insane and it’s not uncommon to see multiple groups of people, flock shooting at the same herd of antelope from 100s of yards as they sprint across the sage flats.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a fan of Colorado antelope. It’s a shit show and frankly pretty dangerous. The amount of people driving roads is insane and it’s not uncommon to see multiple groups of people, flock shooting at the same herd of antelope from 100s of yards as they sprint across the sage flats.
Do you notice less crowds and pressure after that opening weekend in CO?

LA Hunter

FNG
The thing that makes me halt for CO antelope as a NR is two things: their seasons are usually not the same as elk or deer and the terrain for units (private/public and desert/plains/mountain) for the species does not overlap as it much as it does for elk and deer in Wyoming.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you notice less crowds and pressure after that opening weekend in CO?
Yes and no. Every season gets less pressure as the season goes on but when you can see 20 miles in every direction it seems there’s always a line of trucks driving down the same dirt road at 5mph with their orange hats on the dash in front of the driver. And that’s when there are no antelope to be seen!