Colorado pressure

dmuche

FNG
I'll be heading to SC Colorado hunting for the first time this Sept. Sure hope we dont run into too many other hunters. Fingers crossed. Either way, we'll make the most of it!

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Depends where you hunt, I live in elk country and have never had a hard time finding solitude and elk. Year before last, I ran into 1 hunter and he was hunting bears. Non-resident hunters tend to group up in the same areas for some reason, maybe a security thing? Not comfortable in the mountains alone? I know where all the non-resident camps are and they are consistent year to year, so I know where not to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only thing I could add to this is that time of year makes a huge difference. I see 100s of people fishing on opening day, but mid December the river is pretty open. Fish still have to eat.

I still remember back in college in the 80's, one nice January day in the 60's I headed for the river. When I got there it was packed with people each fishing their 20 yard swath of the river. I don't and won't fish that way, and that was back in the 80's. Yes, it was the South Platte River which has always gotten slammed, but still.....that was 35 years ago.

I still remember back in college in the 80's, one nice January day in the 60's I headed for the river. When I got there it was packed with people each fishing their 20 yard swath of the river. I don't and won't fish that way, and that was back in the 80's. Yes, it was the South Platte River which has always gotten slammed, but still.....that was 35 years ago.
You should see the San Juan below Navajo Dam. Only its 20 feet not yards.

njdoxie

WKR
If you are planning on SW CO. Be prepared for a bunch and I mean bunch of people. After 38 years of hunting In SW CO. this might be my last archery season, the crowds are just getting to be more than I care to deal with. I share the same sentiments as 5milesback, its tougher and tougher to get away from everyone. Besides it might give me a chance to focus on upland bird hunting.:D

I agree with those sentiments....is the rest of CO crowded like SW CO? I only hunt SW CO, so I don’t know how it is in the rest of the state.
Is SW CO crowded because it’s close to Texas?

I see more hunters from other states than I see from Texas. Last year I ran into a couple guys from Wisconsin. I don't understand the attraction, the units I hunt have the some of the smallest herds.

Ksbowhtr

FNG
And to compound the crowding problem, Colorado throws the ML season right in the middle of Archery. We started our hunt last year during the ML season. It was absolutely crazy. We keep hearing how hunter numbers are decreasing, but here in Kansas it is harder to find places to hunt, and in Colorado the archery hunters seem to be increasing big time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
you guys would hate salmon fishing.

In 1994 I spent a month in British Columbia fishing. I'd go over a week without even seeing another human being while fishing for salmon, steelhead, and trout. That's my kind of fishing. I fished so much that month I came home with tendonitis in my elbow.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
There are a bunch of other threads dedicated to the rising numbers of hunters in Colorado and the efforts to bring those numbers back to a more appropriate level. It’s a big issue plain and simple. BUT while hunter numbers might make for a good campfire discussion it’s not gonna fill your tag in 2019.

You can almost be guaranteed to encounter other hunters/humans during your CO elk hunt. It’s a populated state with a lot of people who love their mountains...In my opinion, accepting this fact is step one to finding success.

I think we get three types of elk hunters in this state. One group has not pre-scouted, is based out of some elaborate RV village/base camp and a lot of the time they are out of shape guys. They leave camp after breakfast and are back in time for lunch. It seems that a lot of these folks are just happy to be away for week in a beautiful place with some good buddies. If they shoot an elk or even see one then it is an especially good year.

The second group is the guys who work out a little, shoot their bows, buy a bugle tube and scour ON X for their “secret spot”. None of these are bad things to do, however where I think they drop the ball is mental prep. The distances look a lot different on the ground than on google earth which can be humbling revelation. Early September has been be hot/dry the past few years and after bumping into some other hunters in “their spot” these guys get discouraged and can’t figure out how to adapt. Combine this with “elk that aren’t talking” and things can turn into an expensive, frustrating bow hike very quickly.

The third group might have some similar elements of the first two groups but the biggest difference is the mental game. These guys stay on the mountain all day despite the less than favorable conditions and aren’t afraid to adapt. That means abandoning that big sexy meadow, for the nastiest/steepest north facing blow down in the area. These guys bring that opening morning confidence and enthusiasm to each day of the hunt, despite the conditions—as a result they are filling the majority of the tags. I know it sounds painfully cheesy but attitude is everything.

Fall back on your training to push yourself into that next patch pick-up stick black timber, keep the wind in your face and always remember that those elk are just over the next rise. If you truly hunt hard with that killer mentality for a week you WILL have encounters and opportunities. When you meet other hunters/hikers/fisherman out there be polite and you might just get some intel that will help you punch your tag.

My 2 cents.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Pressure is all relevant. If you’re a Midwest public land deer hunter then even heavy pressure is CO will be nothing like you are used to.

The first time I went did a bunch of online scouting, picked a spot, and had this elaborate plan. I’m not kidding there was 100 people camping on the road. Literally.

The days of going deep to get away from people are over. Everyone is doing the same thing.

Bearshirt

FNG
We have seen hunters twice in 2 years. One group seemed kinda bitchy since we called them in. We were hunting calling from a two track think we called them back 😂 Second time we sat a popular large meadow with wallows. You could see around you a long ways. If you off trail and in the bush there is a lot of country to look at. In Michigan we have over 300k bow hunters. You find big buck sign pressure is on, its only a matter of time until someone else finds it too. Even if its threw thick nasty swamp and a mile of green brier hell.

If its a larger area hunt even if the trail head is full. Just stay away from those pretty meadows. 😊

Last edited: