Colorado pressure

Ah yes........nr's and pressure. This can be said for any state that has OTC tags. And some that don't. This is where ones prep and looking at maps comes into play. It's so important to have alternate areas to hunt. Despite the claim of pressure, I seem to be able to never see another human unless im driving. Maybe im just lucky? Maybe it's a gift? Perhaps I create my own luck? I love picking maps apart in search of new hunting areas.

I generally have mucho plan a's, b's and C's. Not because of people, but because of elk. I heard a long time ago, that "elk are where you find them". So with that in mind I know I may have to burn lots of boot leather to find them. Many just aren't willing to do that.

I think a lot of guys talk about being willing to do whatever it takes, and quickly discover there may be more work involved than they anticipated. And quickly fizzle out. Hunting elk will definitely test your metal. Mentally and physically. The physical is the easy part. It's the mental part that will get you. If you let it ;)

Regarding the sheep, watch out for the dogs, I have had more problems with them over the last few years than any wildlife. They can be nasty.

Jetro94

FNG
There are a bunch of other threads dedicated to the rising numbers of hunters in Colorado and the efforts to bring those numbers back to a more appropriate level. It’s a big issue plain and simple. BUT while hunter numbers might make for a good campfire discussion it’s not gonna fill your tag in 2019.

You can almost be guaranteed to encounter other hunters/humans during your CO elk hunt. It’s a populated state with a lot of people who love their mountains...In my opinion, accepting this fact is step one to finding success.

I think we get three types of elk hunters in this state. One group has not pre-scouted, is based out of some elaborate RV village/base camp and a lot of the time they are out of shape guys. They leave camp after breakfast and are back in time for lunch. It seems that a lot of these folks are just happy to be away for week in a beautiful place with some good buddies. If they shoot an elk or even see one then it is an especially good year.

The second group is the guys who work out a little, shoot their bows, buy a bugle tube and scour ON X for their “secret spot”. None of these are bad things to do, however where I think they drop the ball is mental prep. The distances look a lot different on the ground than on google earth which can be humbling revelation. Early September has been be hot/dry the past few years and after bumping into some other hunters in “their spot” these guys get discouraged and can’t figure out how to adapt. Combine this with “elk that aren’t talking” and things can turn into an expensive, frustrating bow hike very quickly.

The third group might have some similar elements of the first two groups but the biggest difference is the mental game. These guys stay on the mountain all day despite the less than favorable conditions and aren’t afraid to adapt. That means abandoning that big sexy meadow, for the nastiest/steepest north facing blow down in the area. These guys bring that opening morning confidence and enthusiasm to each day of the hunt, despite the conditions—as a result they are filling the majority of the tags. I know it sounds painfully cheesy but attitude is everything.

Fall back on your training to push yourself into that next patch pick-up stick black timber, keep the wind in your face and always remember that those elk are just over the next rise. If you truly hunt hard with that killer mentality for a week you WILL have encounters and opportunities. When you meet other hunters/hikers/fisherman out there be polite and you might just get some intel that will help you punch your tag.

My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
The simple truth is you will see other hunters on every road you travel in an OTC unit. You will encounter other hunters on every 2 track you walk in an OTC unit. You will most likely have at least one good stalk/opportunity blown by another hunter in any unit miles back in gods country....Lord knows I have. You most likely have underestimated the terrain upon which you plan to hunt and this will cause you to rethink your plan of getting to that "I know theres elk there spot". Again I have done this. You will most likely hit a gate on a road that isnt supposed to be there which you didnt see on your onX that will ruin a day of hunting in your planned spot.

The simple truth is that during archery season 1 out of 27 hunters will harvest an elk. Take out private land hunting and guided hunting and that number raises to 1 in approximately 73 hunters who harvest an elk during archery season in Colorado. Are there hunters who harvest every year? Sure are, and these guys spend weeks of preparation throughout the year hunting for the SPOT they will harvest, not hunting for elk during the season.

Throughout my years of hunting my home state I have come to the above realization, and it was hard for me to accept......but once I did I realized that I am either going to be a hunter and spend my free time throughout the year hunting for my SPOT to harvest an elk, or I am going to be a hiker/recreational visitor during hunting season. If I find myself elk hunting during the season I become one of the 72 hunters in 73 that dont harvest.

Also just FYI for those that may doubt this statement......be careful out there. DOW will not admit this but we have a population of wolves here in CO now days, myself and others have seen them in SOCO and in NOCO. In addition it would not surprise me one bit if a Grizz or more has found its way here. I have not seen one, I have heard stories from those who claim they have, but none of us want to be unprepared for an encounter with a wolf or Grizz and the first thing that comes to mind is "your not supposed to be here".

Heading to colorado this September for an elk hunt. This is an OTC hunt during the first two weeks of September(archery) diy public land. This is a solo bivy hunt and reason I chose colorado is simply because of logistics and driving by solo and the OTC option while I’m playing the point game in several other states. While I like to consider myself in better shape physically and mentally than most due to my background and profession I’m confident in my abilities to outwork the majority of folks at the trailhead and getting away from the “crowd”, but the more I read and listen to colorado sounds like it is overpacked with hunters and I’m curious for you that have hunted this time frame if your hunt has been dictated/effected by fellow hunters whether it’s been stalks or the entire hunt in general.
2 weeks is honestly a lot of time to live in the woods during hunting season, watch everyone else if you aren't seeing animals. Then head the other way, I've noticed with deer that it you can figure out where people are hunting, you will figure out where the animals dont go