Colorado Proposition 114-Reintroduction of Gray Wolves

DSC

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
With a 51% to 49% vote, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission is now required to create a plan to reintroduce and manage gray wolves on designated lands west of the continental divide by the end of 2023.

From a scientific and philosophical standpoint, proposition 114 is a failure to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. This initiative is not based in science, rather public emotion. As imagined, there was strong urban support and adamant rural opposition. A classic example of the voice of those that have to live with wildlife being drowned out by those that do not care what they have to say or lose.

Colorado is home to North America’s largest elk herd, a strong mule deer population, and a moose population. Past experiences point to the fact that the reintroduction of wolves will absolutely have a negative impact on these populations. Further, the long-term management of these wolves will be a challenge at best, and when that time comes will likely result in litigation or injunctions.

Once this box is opened, there is no going back.

Honest question...

So the reintroduction of wolves in the mountain west is always a bad thing?

How did Lewis and Clark see so many elk and deer and wolves at the same time?

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
Honest question...

Maybe because there were fewer people, no domestic livestock, etc.? Yeah a few wolves are cool. Unfortunately they don’t mix with civilization. I live with them here in AK by the way. Lots of them in our community. It works, but this ain’t civilized country.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
At this point, maybe we need to fight fire with fire. Push for grizzly bear reintroduction in all of their prior ranges. Watch the recreational use drop on major trailheads after the first bad bear encounter in CO.
Watch it drop after the first bad wolf encounter. Colorado doesn't have vast wilderness like Idaho, ect. I know wolves aren't typically overly aggressive with humans, but with limited space and the amount of recreation this state has, I would bet my left nut it will happen. You hike over a few ridges and you are looking down on a small mining or mountain town. It's going to be real interesting how this shakes out. As a life long coloradan, and hunter, I just wish we would stay away from ballot box biology.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That really sucks for Colorado. Folks in MT, WY and ID can sympathize.

Our reintroduction was forced on us as well. What I think most folks missed in our long, painful scenario was that wolves were already naturally reintroducing themselves to Montana (and no doubt eventually to ID and WY) without any help.

If wolves naturally reintroduced themselves to Colorado, so be it. To force it down someone’s throat by a popular vote is not wildlife management.

All I can say is for landowners, sportsmen and other stakeholders is to be very involved with the rule making.

TDL

FNG
I believe a few wolves have reintroduced themselves to CO. Not sure if they are grey, or ware.

Watch it drop after the first bad wolf encounter. Colorado doesn't have vast wilderness like Idaho, ect. I know wolves aren't typically overly aggressive with humans, but with limited space and the amount of recreation this state has, I would bet my left nut it will happen. You hike over a few ridges and you are looking down on a small mining or mountain town. It's going to be real interesting how this shakes out. As a life long coloradan, and hunter, I just wish we would stay away from ballot box biology.
This was my first thought when I learned that Colorado was going to get wolves. I apologize in advance to all hunters in Colorado...your elk and moose populations are screwed. With the intense recreational use, insane hunting pressure, and suburban sprawl, the big game was already struggling. Now, well, seeing elk will only be stories and old man's lore.
If there's going to be a violent wolf/human encounter in the lower 48, it'll be Colorado. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but with as cramped as the wolves will feel there with yuppy, tie-dyed, bloodshot-eyed granola bunny huggers covering every square inch of their range, it's bound to happen. From a hunters perspective it's difficult to describe the raw hatred you will feel when your rich hunting grounds are suddenly open air graveyards for the large game animals you've held so dearly your entire life.

Honest question...

So many other things have changed... When they saw tons of elk and deer, they were in the plains near the river. When they got into the mountains in western Montana and the especially the mountains of Idaho, the amount of game they saw dropped to nearly zilch and they survived mainly on fish, roots, dogs, and horse. The famed Frank church wasn't so awesome back then; it might have been more like what it is now, except the wolves were more down in the prairies too because that's where the game was.

As someone mentioned, there were not the hunter numbers wearing out the animals and reducing herd size for 4 months every year and the deer and elk weren't pushed up to 9k feet in the mountains due to human development.

I think it would be great if we could have wolves and actually manage their numbers effectively; Idaho and Montana are evidence that we can't.

KHNC

WKR
There's many more hunters and much less habitat today than when lewis and clark showed up.
Yes, any idiot SHOULD know this. NTS probably would have voted FOR wolves if could. He is an obvious liberal. Not even the same type of comparison. Let lewis and clark roam their trail thru idaho and try to find a damn elk nowadays. May see a bear or two and maybe a lion, but no elk.

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
This was my first thought when I learned that Colorado was going to get wolves. I apologize in advance to all hunters in Colorado...your elk and moose populations are screwed. With the intense recreational use, insane hunting pressure, and suburban sprawl, the big game was already struggling. Now, well, seeing elk will only be stories and old man's lore.
If there's going to be a violent wolf/human encounter in the lower 48, it'll be Colorado. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but with as cramped as the wolves will feel there with yuppy, tie-dyed, bloodshot-eyed granola bunny huggers covering every square inch of their range, it's bound to happen. From a hunters perspective it's difficult to describe the raw hatred you will feel when your rich hunting grounds are suddenly open air graveyards for the large game animals you've held so dearly your entire life.
Spot on.

chasewild

WKR
With a 51% to 49% vote, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission is now required to create a plan to reintroduce and manage gray wolves on designated lands west of the continental divide by the end of 2023.

From a scientific and philosophical standpoint, proposition 114 is a failure to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. This initiative is not based in science, rather public emotion. As imagined, there was strong urban support and adamant rural opposition. A classic example of the voice of those that have to live with wildlife being drowned out by those that do not care what they have to say or lose.

Colorado is home to North America’s largest elk herd, a strong mule deer population, and a moose population. Past experiences point to the fact that the reintroduction of wolves will absolutely have a negative impact on these populations. Further, the long-term management of these wolves will be a challenge at best, and when that time comes will likely result in litigation or injunctions.

Once this box is opened, there is no going back.

Old news. Is DSC developing a litigation strategy?

Shrek

WKR
At this point, maybe we need to fight fire with fire. Push for grizzly bear reintroduction in all of their prior ranges. Watch the recreational use drop on major trailheads after the first bad bear encounter in CO.
The grizzly bear is on the California state flag and the San Francisco Bay area had very high densities. They need to dump a couple hundred grizzly around the bay

Deadeye17

FNG
Reintroduce elk across their home range then as well. Why are we limiting elk ranges and numbers to far less than what it used to be. I am all for having an ecosystem with predators and prey, but not when predators are introduced to an area with over regulated game animal numbers/ranges as it is. When we can reintroduce native game animals to their original home ranges, then we can “discuss” re-introducing predators