Colorado Public Land Turkey Hunt Advice

Catfish

FNG
my brother and I are taking my nephew on a mountain adventure to chase turkeys in a couple of weeks after he graduates from high school. Does anyone have any advice on some game units where we might find some birds. We are all in shape and accustomed to wearing a pack and walking long miles.

dtrkyman

WKR
No specifics but opening weekend was a complete chit show, had 3 hunts ruined by ignorant hunters and was shocked at the pressure and lack of good judgement!

I am heading back this week, the birds were with hens hard early and quiet other than roost gobbling!

Last year I killed a bird on the last day of the season, birds were pretty much done by then, I would say from now until you are going is probably the best time for calling birds.

Try and find some open areas a long way from access in my opinion.

OP
C

Catfish

FNG
Thanks dtrkyman. The birds in Missouri were very similar this year. Hened up, only gobbling on the roost but not willing to work. Our season just ended. I appreciate the advice. Good luck this week.

dtrkyman

WKR
No problem, I missed MO. for the first time in ten years this season!

The birds here in NM. were spotty, but I called in three and got my two bird limit, lot's of miles covered to find em!

Thanks.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
What areas of colorado are you thinking? I live in southwest colorado and the birds just really started getting going on the ground.
Hunt late into the morning and be patient. These gobblers won’t be able to resist!

Jimss

WKR
Public land gets hammered pretty hard by OTC turkey hunters. Be ready for a little frustration and a lot of luck!

OP
C

Catfish

FNG
What areas of colorado are you thinking? I live in southwest colorado and the birds just really started getting going on the ground.
Hunt late into the morning and be patient. These gobblers won’t be able to resist!
We have spotted a few places around south central and southwest CO. We are to rendezvous this weekend in KS for a hunt there and then heading over to CO. I know my brother has some spots picked as do I and another hunting buddy. We are hoping to narrow in on a location this weekend. We have hunted in the Uncompahgre National Forest near Montrose before, and that is one place we have our eye on. Are you near there?

OP
C

Catfish

FNG
Public land gets hammered pretty hard by OTC turkey hunters. Be ready for a little frustration and a lot of luck!
Colorado does seem to be the beacon for all things OTC. We usually end up spending most efforts trying to find places where hunters don’t go as opposed to where the game actually goes. We are after an adventure mostly, if we can bag some birds, all the better. Thanks for the heads up. We will be spending some time on Google Earth and On X for sure.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado is a blessing and a curse. As long as there are still a few birds for me to hunt every year keep the OTC tags!