Colorado Rifle Elk Mandatory CWD Testing

curious on the tissue thing mentioned earlier also, since my dad does samples for Wisconsin, would be nice to save the pounds and trim up a head a bit more and just take the lymphnodes out by the carcass for the pack out.

Poser

WKR
I just went by the CPW office and had a quick conversation. They will accept just the lymph nodes -that will satisfy your obligation for check in, however, they will mark them as “untestable” if they do not remove them themselves. In short, you won’t be contributing to the data unless you bring the head or lower jaw attached to the spine, which they greatly prefer.

This is what I was told by the CPW officer in front of 2 other officers. They didn’t seem to be in the mood to chat any further, so I left it at that. Interpret what I said above as you will -you may get a different answer at a different office.

This is super interesting that the CPW won't accept hunter-submitted lymph nodes. Is that really what folks are hearing from the bios and wardens on the ground?

In Wyoming, I've personally submitted 4 different CWD samples that I have pulled lymph nodes off myself this year - 2 deer I killed, an elk a buddy killed, and a deer another buddy killed. This is not user-friendly if they want to get the data down in Eastern California and probably worth bringing up to the powers that be and any orgs that have pull down there, like CBA.

Poser

WKR
This is super interesting that the CPW won't accept hunter-submitted lymph nodes. Is that really what folks are hearing from the bios and wardens on the ground?

In Wyoming, I've personally submitted 4 different CWD samples that I have pulled lymph nodes off myself this year - 2 deer I killed, an elk a buddy killed, and a deer another buddy killed. This is not user-friendly if they want to get the data down in Eastern California and probably worth bringing up to the powers that be and any orgs that have pull down there, like CBA.

I can see from a scientific standpoint why they would want to collect the data themselves to verify accuracy in reporting.

cnelk

WKR
Over the yearsCWD testing has come and gone. Test here. Test there.
It’s all based on monetary grants to fund the testing.

Be patient. Next year it will be different. Guaranteed

Im surprised Dr Fauci isn’t involved

wytx

WKR
I can see from a scientific standpoint why they would want to collect the data themselves to verify accuracy in reporting.
Odd though, CPW has a video out to show hunters how to remove the lymph nodes.
Not hard to get good data from non G&F persons, hunters.
However the nodes can be mistaken with salivary glands.

I called CPW yesterday and was told that it is acceptable to bring in only lymph nodes. The woman did caution that it is very easy to get the wrong tissue so be careful. The video on the CPW site shows that they are mroe easily discernable if you cross section them.

Stalker69

WKR
I cut the lymph nodes out and submit them in a baggie with my info on it. Have done it for several years now. They ask where the animal was taken, and you have to give gps or general area on a map they have there. They always thank me for cutting them out myself, have never said any thing about needing the head.

CoStick

WKR
Yes pretty straight forward, have been submitting the last few years, I have young kids and appreciate the information.