Colorado Rifle Season Weather

It appears things will be very dry heading into rifle seasons. I believe we're in a Stage 2 fire ban which means we cannot run canvas tent stoves. :( I believe the ban is supposed to expire on October 9th, but I'm assuming it will get extended or maybe downgraded. Thoughts?

Anyone been up there recently? How dry is it? :)

It’s been a hot summer for the whole region. I’m not seeing elk as low as they usually are this time of year in Wy. My thought is why come down when it’s so warm low and the Feed is all dried out? I’d be prepared for dry and unseasonably warm.

But as with all mountains the weather can turn on a dime and end up snowy and 15 degrees. I’d prepare for dry and warmer than usual.

Try high elevation and work your way down. North facing slopes and the thick stuff should hold elk

prm

WKR
I’ll have my Ti stove in the truck, but did not put it in my pack. Don’t anticipate being able to use it (or wanting to use it and take a chance).
On the good side, I feel it makes finding elk easier during 1st rifle.

prm

WKR

The elk will tend to stay on the north slopes where there is more food and cover. In cold, snowy seasons some will move to south facing slopes to find good food and some will hang in thick cover. I suppose some could even move down but I don’t know that. Very dry and warm will concentrate them. That’s my experience anyway.

I always tended to hunt north slopes at least through CO first rifle as the elk maintain their summer pattern. But then we had some snowy seasons and food was no good on the north slopes and many had moved. But not all...

njdoxie

WKR
Bring nasal spray. My nose was bleeding from the dryness.

Yeah, I wipe petroleum jelly in my nose once a day, otherwise my nose bleeds get worse every day, this way I have zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk