Colorado Roads during 4th Rifle season

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Coming from the snow capital in the east near Syracuse NY so snow does not bother us too much, what will the major roads be like in the Meeker - Craig area during the 4th rifle season ? What is the best way to approach this area from the East? we plan on taking 80 into Nebraska but we ae not wedded to any route from here on in. Are chains a necessity in the mountain passes? I've only taken these roads during the summer months, and have never been to the Meeker area so i'm unfamiliar with roads and route. Thanks

Scoutman

FNG
If it snows, mud chains for forest service and BLM roads. Not sure for main highways, DOT usually does a good job maintaining them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
B

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry forgot to mention that we are going to utilize private land and the elevation there is around 6500' so I figure no off road stuff. I am used to lake effect snow and my truck has great tires and we drive in the white stuff a lot including a burst this week. But elevation will change things dramatically, our east coast hills only reach into the low 5000' levels and these elevations change driving conditions a lot.

I went 3rd season last year and am thankful I had chains. We didn't use them on asphalt however even at the lower elevations there were necessary in many areas (atleast for this SW Pa guy). Knowing 4th season could be worse than 3rd, I would definitely bring them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Come into Craig from the north off I80. Drop down to Baggs then hwy 13 to Craig/Meeker. If you come from the East you will have to come over rabbit ears pass and it can be closed intermittently. I live near Craig, main roads will be in decent shape however secondary roads can be bad. Chains are a must off the main roads that time of the year. I don't leave my house without chains from Sept to May.

mlgc20

WKR
I was surprised how much snow was on the pass on I-70 headed west out of Denver during first rifle season last year. By the time we got off 70 and headed north to Meeker the roads were great. There wasn’t even any snow on the ground. I would imagine that pass on I-70 could get gnarly by 4th rifle. Its probably well maintained though with all the trucking going through there.

PS - If you have time, stop in to the Meeker Hotel lobby. The taxidermy display there is really cool.

Take tire chains. Be prepared to use them. Tow strap or log chain highly recommended as well. Hard to believe how many people drive into that country with out both.

cnelk

WKR
Temps can fluctuate from below freezing at night to thawing during the daymakes for interesting travel. What you think is no problem when froze is a real shit show when thawed.

Chains, Come Along, tow straps are a must.

Check your truck specs to see if you have enough clearance for chains (all 4) before you have a Ruh Roh moment.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come into Craig from the north off I80. Drop down to Baggs then hwy 13 to Craig/Meeker. If you come from the East you will have to come over rabbit ears pass and it can be closed intermittently. I live near Craig, main roads will be in decent shape however secondary roads can be bad. Chains are a must off the main roads that time of the year. I don't leave my house without chains from Sept to May.

100% This ^^^^

Mosby

WKR
I70 west of Denver was awful driving back. There were plow trucks but I didn't see any salt or cinders when I was driving. It amazes me how fast people drive in horrific conditions. Avoid Denver and the passes west of Denver and drop down from I80 if you can.

The main roads were fine getting around Meeker when I was there. The back trails became a sheet of ice during the second week. There were huge RV's in every corner and there was a lot of traffic on the back trails. I have no idea how or if they got their rv's out. I had to squeeze by a truck with a camper stuck on one trail and we never went back. The back trails got so bad we switched to plan b and hunted where we had better access. I wouldn't go there without chains and tow ropes.

mmac

WKR
I used to hunt out west with guys from Michigan and got stuck in Lusk Wy for 3 days when they dropped all the gates. They were shocked, but once the roads cleared and they saw drifts covering trailers, they understood why. The weather comes up faster and the wind is greater stopping visibility. It won't be like what you have seen from a visibility standpoint. Agree snow is snow, but be prepared. Chains and your gear to stay warm if stuck or money to get hotel if stuck in a town with a hotel....

cedahm

FNG
Temps can fluctuate from below freezing at night to thawing during the daymakes for interesting travel. What you think is no problem when froze is a real shit show when thawed.

Chains, Come Along, tow straps are a must.

Check your truck specs to see if you have enough clearance for chains (all 4) before you have a Ruh Roh moment.
100%. The freeze/thaw cycle is something that I've seen foil a lot of folks that aren't used to late fall mountain weather - and honestly, a lot that ARE used to it. It's easy to get in and then impossible to get out. Be extra mindful of that if you're entering some place in the early morning.

Given you mentioned you'd be down in the valley @ 6500' - it is likely to be even worse from a melt/mud perspective as the sage/oak country becomes a big pit of gumbo.

netman

WKR
I hunted Colorado last fourth season. I went without chains as I had watched the weather closely and seen there had been a lot of snow but the weather was going to be mild during the hunt. I did however have brand new mud tires on my truck. I hunted around 10,000 feet. The new mud tires were needed every day and I was glad to have them. The roads on the FS and BLM were tough especially at higher altitudes. All other roads were normal.

OP
B

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advise I have chains for all four 20"wheels with good clearances I'm in CNY and we get a lot of snow anywhere from 200"to400+" of lake effect snow. my rig has is set up for our roads , i'm not planning on using the truck except to get there and back home. I have a real good tow strap. I was worried about coming thru the mountain passes and I think i'm coming down thru Baggs in WY

JRMiller

WKR
I bring chains and truckclaws on every hunt no matter what time of year, assuming i’ll be driving on dirt roads. It doesnt have to be just snow/mud to use them.
if you have have them why not bring them

Fatcamp

WKR
I bring chains and truckclaws on every hunt no matter what time of year, assuming i’ll be driving on dirt roads. It doesnt have to be just snow/mud to use them.
if you have have them why not bring them

Those Truckclaws look interesting. How do you use them? By themselves or with chains?

I ask because I cannot put chains on the front of my 4runner. Those may work up front in an emergency situation.

wytx

WKR
Just know, I-80 is notorious for getting closed in winter. You may be waiting in Laramie for it to open for a day or so, maybe several.
Have some extra travel days planned in your trip.
Even rolling closures can happen with little snow in our area. You may get HP to allow you through for local travel only but don't be counting on it.

JRMiller

WKR
Those Truckclaws look interesting. How do you use them? By themselves or with chains?

I ask because I cannot put chains on the front of my 4runner. Those may work up front in an emergency situation.
Truckclaws are simply extra heavy duty ratchet straps that strap an aluminum beam (through the wheel spokes) to the tire. Essentially they create huge paddles.
They can only be used alone on a tire, though you can, and i have, put the claws on the back and chains up front.

Truckclaws will get you out of anything, and i mean anything, but they only work on driven wheels. So yes theoretically could put them on the front front wheels of a four wheel drive vehicle.
Just keep in mind you would not be able to steer with those on. They are meant for very short distance just to get you out of a hole ( i have gone as far as 1/8th mile but thats really not a good idea, for me it was that or literally die in the middle of nowhere)
Since you cant fit even fit chains on your 4runner fronts, i'm certain you wont be able to fit the claws on the front.
If you just have a rear wheel stuck in sand or a deep hole etc, you would be fine just using the claws on the rear to get you out with nothing on the front.
If your stuck due to deep mud, slippery, slushy mud (Wyoming?)it may not help as you wont be able to steer your front end even when you do get out.