Colorado secondary draw questions

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
Got a couple of questions on the upcoming secondary draw. I realize and understand its 100% preference to youth. I have a 15 year old.

Is it only 5 point and less tags that enter the draw? Thought I remembered reading that somewhere but now cant find that. If so, what happens to a higher point tag if its returned?

Does resident/non resident play into the secondary draw?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Per the excerpt below (page 3 of big game brochure), returned tags that required 5 or more points are offered to the next applicants in line. It's not clear though whether those offers are made before or after the secondary draw.
Screenshot_20220614-210221_Drive.jpg

Edit: I see no mention in the brochure of returned/reissued tags being available in the secondary draw. It appears that reissued tags are only available via the leftover list, and the only tags available in the secondary draw are those with quota remaining after the primary draw.

Last edited:
I didn't read the fine print last year and put in for a unit that had a couple tags left. I didn't see the youth allocations. So general consensus unless there are a ton of tags for a certain unit, just another money grab on app fees etc?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Got a couple of questions on the upcoming secondary draw. I realize and understand its 100% preference to youth. I have a 15 year old.

Is it only 5 point and less tags that enter the draw? Thought I remembered reading that somewhere but now cant find that. If so, what happens to a higher point tag if its returned?

Does resident/non resident play into the secondary draw?

Thanks!

It’s Colorado. Of course they give equal opportunity to non-residents. This isn’t Wyoming…New Mexico…Utah…Montana…Arizona… “enter any state in country besides Colorado”

OP
Quackshack

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
It’s Colorado. Of course they give equal opportunity to non-residents. This isn’t Wyoming…New Mexico…Utah…Montana…Arizona… “enter any state in country besides Colorado”
Not quite any state. My home state of Pa gives equal opportunity to non-residents. But...... last year we only had 187 total tags.

ckleeves

WKR
I didn't read the fine print last year and put in for a unit that had a couple tags left. I didn't see the youth allocations. So general consensus unless there are a ton of tags for a certain unit, just another money grab on app fees etc?
CPW published a recap of the secondary draw, I didn’t know it existed until recently. Its worth checking out, should give you a pretty good idea on youth demand for different hunt codes. I’ll be saving my $7.13 this year.

Jethro

WKR
The large majority of adults paid 7-9$ last year to have draw odds that were zero. I’m fortunate to have a tag this season, but I would not apply in the 2nd draw again.

CPW published a recap of the secondary draw, I didn’t know it existed until recently. Its worth checking out, should give you a pretty good idea on youth demand for different hunt codes. I’ll be saving my $7.13 this year.

Thanks, just saw that. All youth for the tag I tried to get.

CJF

WKR
I drew a secondary tag last year🤷🏼‍♂️

But there were a handful of tags in the draw, and it was archery so I’m guessing less youth put in for such tags.

The large majority of adults paid 7-9$ last year to have draw odds that were zero. I’m fortunate to have a tag this season, but I would not apply in the 2nd draw again.
@Jethro Im tracking youth get a 100% preference in the second draw. What I’m not tracking is the allocation of tags for youth per area.

Do you mind pointing me in the right direction. Pages 17 - 19 (Youth Chapter) wasn’t any help.

@Jethro Im tracking youth get a 100% preference in the second draw. What I’m not tracking is the allocation of tags for youth per area.

Do you mind pointing me in the right direction. Pages 17 - 19 (Youth Chapter) wasn’t any help.
I don't think there's any specific number of secondary draw tags set aside for youth hunters. It sounds like there are effectively 2 separate rounds of the secondary draw: round 1 is for youth applicants only, any remaining tags thereafter go to non-youth applicants in round 2.

I don't think there's any specific number of secondary draw tags set aside for youth hunters. It sounds like there are effectively 2 separate rounds of the secondary draw: round 1 is for youth applicants only, any remaining tags thereafter go to non-youth applicants in round 2.
@Mighty Mouse Yes sir, I thought the same until I started reading this thread.

@Coveyleader Can you elaborate on where you saw “youth” for the tag you were trying to get. TIA

Jethro

WKR

As was stated, there is no “youth allocation”. Youth get first shot at all tags. Theoretically all tags could go to youths. Of course that won’t happen.

That leaves adults just guessing what will be left. That’s how it could end up with adults applying and their odds are zero to draw.

It’s less than 10$ though. Last year I took a chance. When results came out it showed I had no chance.