Colorado secondary draw.

jwelders

FNG
Hunters should be aware that the secondary draw gives youth hunters 100% priority. example #1-hunt code ee0120a. 10 tags available for draw, 509 applicants, of which 17 were youth, 10 drew-7 didn't. The 492 adults had zero chance to draw. Example # 2- hunt code em04101r. 14 tags available. 14 of 21 youth applicants drew. The 248 adults had zero chance. It only costs $9 to apply if you already have a qualifying license. But if you're going to buy the $86.50 nonresident license just to apply you should really look at the 2021 secondary draw results on the CDOW website. Private land tags and cow tags were more readily available but a lot of these tags made it thru to leftovers. A very select few drew an antlered tag in a decent unit but this was definitely the rare exception and not the norm. I'm not complaining about youth preference, I just want people to be aware of how this draw works and to not be overly optimistic if you apply for a quality bull tag. Now for my complaint-I think nonrefundable qualifying tags are bullsh#t,

OP
J

jwelders

FNG
It's probably worth mentioning that you can only receive a preference point from the primary draw. If you missed the primary draw, buy a qualifying license, enter secondary draw, are unsuccessful in secondary draw, you will not receive a preference point in that year.

The secondary draw should be preferenced to residents first, youth second, then non residents.. ahh but that would cost Colorado money if they were so inclined to take care of their residents. Youth preference is a nice gesture but I'm sure all they are worried about is how many none resident tags they can sell. Money money money....lol

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The secondary draw should be preferenced to residents first, youth second, then non residents.. ahh but that would cost Colorado money if they were so inclined to take care of their residents. Youth preference is a nice gesture but I'm sure all they are worried about is how many none resident tags they can sell. Money money money....lol
I like it the way it is. It's a great way to get youth some great tags and get them in the field.

The resident and nonresident adults already had a chance to apply for the tags using their points. And, there will be plenty of archery and muzzy tags still available after they draw all the youth.

So maybe resident youth, then resident. I just think if there is left over tags they should be preferenced to Coloradans first. Like you said...residents and non residents already got there chance in the primary. Be nice if Colorado took care of residents half as good as say Wyoming. JMO

jayhawk

WKR
THIS is why you won't see any changes or improvements in Colorado's system. They make more than 10x the money from a non-resident as opposed to a resident.

Goatboy22

FNG
Agree with CoStick. Enjoy the "Good Old Days", they probably won't be around much longer.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Secondary draw and leftover day should be prioritized by residency. I believe youth tags are cheaper, so the whole nonresident $$$ thing kind of goes out the window there. I like giving youth a better chance, maybe not the WHOLE chance though.

ahlgringo

WKR
Agreed,

I would be all in favor of:

Resident Youth
Resident
NR Youth
NR

would also be in favor of reinstating the 1 day prior leftover opening for Residents as well (used to be one day prior in-person but served the same means).

Wishful thinking?

Cseaman91

FNG
I think they should be first come first serve in the secondary draw… Just like calling Ticketmaster in the days before the internet.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think they should be first come first serve in the secondary draw… Just like calling Ticketmaster in the days before the internet.
It’s called the leftover draw and let me tell you how smooth that debacle has been over the past 10 years.

ColoradoV

WKR
Agreed it should change to be youth residents for the first 24 hrs then open to non resident youth and adults follow. The computer crashes and the like would be eliminated and would be much more process fair if residents had the first crack at the licenses.

All the rest of the returned tags should be the same. Residents for the first 24 hrs then open to the public. Many tags would still make it 24 hrs just not the most sought after ones and I bet nr still would get their 10% of the total even after 24 hrs.

The tags have been sold once so there is no money argument - none but as I have said the Colorado Parks and Wildlife hates us residents hunters and treats us very very unfairly when compared to neighboring states. That tide is changing and it needs to.

The goal is in the next 5 year when Colorado goes to 90-10 or 80-20 that we can also get returned tags for residents for the first 24 then nr gets their crack as it is a needed change to at least keep it fair for us Colorado residents.