Colorado September Rain Gear

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
For a high country, early season mule deer, would you guys say that rain gear is a necessity? Or would you tend to lean towards that you can get by without it? When I am out backpacking I have always carried rain gear with me. I was just curious to hear others opinions on this subject.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can't speak first hand for your particular situation yet but Anytime I plan on sitting behind glass for extended periods of time ill have my hardshell. Not only for rain, but to buck wind or any other weather and keep me comfortable and glassing longer. I always have my hardshell with me though, atleast the jacket.

dotman

WKR
I have not used it for years, just used a garbage bag for the heavy rain. Sprinkles you will dry out from but on that note i did pick up a rain jacket just because even though i haven't delt with days straight of rain i want something just incase.

winter

FNG
Cabelas space rain ultra. It's really light, comes in max-1 camo that looks sweet above treeline. I took a 12 minute shower in mine the other day to prove it was indeed water proof, it was. Last year it rained the first 3 days off and on alpine deer hunting here in CO. It was really nice to have, especially when walking through the wet willow bottoms.

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely go with some good rain gear, last year, we had 2.5 days of steady rain, my wife's Prois gear didn't last 1/2 day, made for a miserable experience. I had a Bass Pro Gore-Tex lite and was good for the most part. Upgraded to Sitka downpours for this season.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would not chance speding any time in the highcountry without rain gear. I always have my Sitka in the pack. Even if it is supposed to be "nice" out. You know how the high country gets. 65° and sunny one minute, windy/raining/snowing an hour later. I don't mind an extra couple pounds in my pack. It keeps me dry, keeps me comfortable, and keeps me hunting. That goes a long ways mentally.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas space rain ultra. It's really light, comes in max-1 camo that looks sweet above treeline. I took a 12 minute shower in mine the other day to prove it was indeed water proof, it was. Last year it rained the first 3 days off and on alpine deer hunting here in CO. It was really nice to have, especially when walking through the wet willow bottoms.

I have used the Cabelas space rain before, and it was definitely waterproof, I was just not impressed with the durability nor the noise it made. I currently have Gore Tex paclite shell, but I believe I am going to upgrade to some KUIU Chugach after purchasing some of their other gear, and reading reviews on it.

OR Archer

WKR
We had thunder and lightning every afternoon accompanied by lots of rain and even hail. Definitely take rain gear with you. Under Armour Stealth rain jacket and pants are what I use and they work awesome. They pack down small and are very light weight.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't go anywhere without a rain jacket. Then again I'm in wet Alaska.... : )
I have a Patagonia Rain Shadow (MARs special) in Alpha Green and a KUIU Chugach in VIAS. Both work great, but the KUIU is more breathable and seems to shed water better if rain lasts more than a day or so... I have hunted high country mule deer in WA state and back then all I had was a tan Frog Togg top. It worked for the few minor showers we had and cut the wind ok for glassing. Its a cheap option....

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Good input guys! I would hate to have a hunt ruined because I was too cheap, or decided the weight wasn't worth rain gear.