Colorado sheep and goat credit card hits?

ckleeves

WKR
Weird. I hunted G5. I avoided CB lots and lots of remote country away from that basin that hold goats. The big billies don’t even hang in CB. That’s the nanny kid groups that are used to backpackers.
Exactly right. I don’t think many 3+ year old Billy’s have been taken in the bottom of CB. If you want to kill a mature Billy your more then likely going to have to work for it in some nasty terrain. If your talking about the nanny/kid groups in CB then yes, they are tame, so don’t hunt those. Anybody who says there isn’t much huntable terrain outside of CB doesn’t know much about the unit. There are plenty of wild Billy’s in terrain that will make you really ponder how bad you want it. Take a tape measure and walk up to a Billy on the face of the Guardian or Vallecito and report back on how big he was!

bat-cave

WKR
Exactly right. I don’t think many 3+ year old Billy’s have been taken in the bottom of CB. If you want to kill a mature Billy your more then likely going to have to work for it in some nasty terrain. If your talking about the nanny/kid groups in CB then yes, they are tame, so don’t hunt those. Anybody who says there isn’t much huntable terrain outside of CB doesn’t know much about the unit. There are plenty of wild Billy’s in terrain that will make you really ponder how bad you want it. Take a tape measure and walk up to a Billy on the face of the Guardian or Vallecito and report back on how big he was!
I did see several nice Billies from Chicago Basin. Challenging to get too, but I disagree that they aren't there at all. Yes, they pale by comparison to the number Nanny's and Kid's ... but they are were there last year when I hunted it. I ended up settling for a Nanny mind you, but I did see them and in fact 2 Mature Billies and a younger Billie came within 300 yards of our camp!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
No Desert Sheep tag; shocker. One goat is all I need, no thank you! Congratulations to the few lucky ones.

I did see several nice Billies from Chicago Basin. Challenging to get too, but I disagree that they aren't there at all. Yes, they pale by comparison to the number Nanny's and Kid's ... but they are were there last year when I hunted it. I ended up settling for a Nanny mind you, but I did see them and in fact 2 Mature Billies and a younger Billie came within 300 yards of our camp!
Sure you can see billies from CB. And even kill them in there. I’m not saying that there won’t be a Billy there. But typically the older big billies are off by themselves or with a buddy far away from the Nanny kid groups.

But sure there could be a Billy in there. But to say that it’s so easy to kill them that it’s not worth filling a tag! That’s just a lame excuse For not getting one in my opinion. Not to be mean, but Who in there right mind would eat mtn goat tag soup on purpose? Unless you have killed a few and were trophy hunting or something?

G5 is one of the more rugged remote goat hunts in the whole state. I would make a guess that it’s one of the most if not the most rugged hunts for mtn goat in the lower 48.

I saw goats that were in places that’s human could not go. Not humanly possible to even get there. So To say it would be too easy?

On a side note. The year I drew I knew two other hunters that went into CB and didn’t see a single goat! Kind of a bizarre year I think. I actually hardly saw any goats when I hunted and I was in a different portion of the unit

Attachments

• 2A8F0E6E-9B6C-432F-9441-346DB17EBD3A.jpeg
    2A8F0E6E-9B6C-432F-9441-346DB17EBD3A.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ckleeves

WKR
Where did I say “they aren’t there at all”? You can “see” lots of Billy’s from CB. In fact one of the best billy hangouts is glassable from places in CB. And yet for some reason nanny harvest usually hovers around 50% which is odd with all the tame Billy’s walking around getting measured.

bat-cave

WKR
Where did I say “they aren’t there at all”? You can “see” lots of Billy’s from CB. In fact one of the best billy hangouts is glassable from places in CB. And yet for some reason nanny harvest usually hovers around 50% which is odd with all the tame Billy’s walking around getting measured.
Fair point, I apologize if my reply came across as accusatory. My point was more than after I drew last year, I heard lots of feedback to the effect of "You won't kill a Billy in CB". My point was more it's never all or nothing and if you are willing to accept a Nanny even though we all want a Billy, CB is an amazing place and you never know what might happen ... it's hunting after all.

I would suggest that anyone hunting CB bring a set of pink leotards as the goats don't mind them, but camo sure turns them off. :cool:

CB is like driving to the top of Mount Evans and shooting a goat in front of the masses. Why? What did you get out of that?

Congrats to all, some great tags! S32 might not be what it once was, but it's still a unit with alot of sheep and will challenge you as an archer! Awesome tag. Make sure you step on the scale before an after that hunt! One thing is for sure, you won't be a "Fat american" if you give it your all!

Good luck to all, and hopefully we will see some guys standing in an avalanche slide alongside a crusher ram.