Colorado Sheep Draw Results Today

npm352

WKR
Colorado draw summaries are out for the 2020 draw.

...Here is the math unless I entered something wrong in my calculator:

SHEEP
- 3554 NR applicants who could have drawn this year
- 5138 additional NR who will be able to draw in 3 more years

GOAT
- 2021 NR applicants who could have drawn this year
- 3895 additional NR who will be able to draw in 3 more years

I wish people still had to front tag fees. I am 36 years old and am at 3-15 on sheep points and will more than likely never draw in my lifetime despite putting in for lower end units...unless they start squaring weighted points or go to straight preference or a preference mix. Dang.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider

SHEEP

GOAT

I wish people still had to front tag fees. I am 36 years old and am at 3-15 on sheep points and will more than likely never draw in my lifetime despite putting in for lower end units...unless they start squaring weighted points or go to straight preference or a preference mix. Dang.
Are you open to archery hunting? Might be able to pull one of the archery tags. Yes, the success rate is low but at least you are sheep hunting. If you are able to mark off the majority of the season, it might be worth it.

npm352

WKR
Are you open to archery hunting? Might be able to pull one of the archery tags. Yes, the success rate is low but at least you are sheep hunting. If you are able to mark off the majority of the season, it might be worth it.
Yes, I am. It is always a toss up. Often they give 3-4 good archery tags and 1-2 trash unit tags. The decent units are similar odds to lower end rifle tags...I am not too old yet. Odds are I won't draw, but eventually I may try archery...like once I retire and can take off an entire month for the tag.

WKR

SHEEP

GOAT

NPM, The odds are actually dropping as your post pretty much indicates. If I was a NR, I'd just start saving for a Dall or perhaps mtn goat in Alaska or Canada.

npm352

WKR
NPM, The odds are actually dropping as your post pretty much indicates. If I was a NR, I'd just start saving for a Dall or perhaps mtn goat in Alaska or Canada.
I'll keep trying. I know odds are dropping, that is why I did the math and posted it. It is a bummer, but Colorado is trying to make the most off of their herds. I am just under 20 years in for sheep and goat, and killed a goat in Colorado in 2006. I'll keep trying. I am not quitting with almost 20 points. They could go to bonus squared, pure preference or something...or hell may freeze and I'll pull a sheep tag in current system. I'm only 36. Also remember that I spent less than $10 out if pocket for about the first 16 years of applying...but I get your post...we all wish others would drop out.

Last edited:

npm352

WKR
My hope is that some of the folks who were suckered in by Colorado's classic bait-and-switch the past couple years will see the odds in 2 or 3 years and realize that paying $383 per year to apply for sheep, goat and moose to start at the bottom makes little sense.

To date, if someone started 20 years ago they have paid less than $700 of nonrefundable fees for 20 points. If you started last year it will cost $7,660 for 20 points, way worse odds, and that is if Colorado does not increase fees, which they have for the past 3 years.

Hopefully that bubble will burst...but I dream...

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I have been applying for sheep tags in many states for over nearly 20 years, and have never popped a tag. Granted, I do put in for high end units, knowing my odds worsen a little. Really what’s the difference between 0.5% and 1% (besides 0.5%). CO preference point system is a waste of money. Pure lottery. I love that I get to live vicariously through some of you. I think I just have a tag curse. Ive been putting in for a mule deer tag on my own property (private only unit) for 6 years and have not drawn. The chances to draw have been over 50% for the last 3. Its getting tougher to do the DIY draw type hunts. Just simply saturated.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
A good friend of mine finally drew after 37 years of applying. He had pretty much given up hope but just kept applying.

oldgoat

WKR
I drew S32 ewe as well! I live on the front range so I’m able to get up there often. You?
Been up about 4 or 5 times, live in Arvada. Need to go more but work and doctor visits and family events keep screwing me up, now it looks like monsoon is going to start. Hopefully I can go up at least one day a week. Probably Tuesday or Thursday this week, drive a white lifted Toyota 4runner, say hi if you see me.
David