Colorado Sheep Hunt 2020 Units S06 & S46

Hello Everyone,

I was lucky enough to draw an archery sheep tag for colorado in units S06 & S46. This is a rut hunt in November 10-30. I am excited to say the least. This will be my first sheep hunt. I am an avid lifelong bowhunter and get out in the woods quite a few days each season, mostly chasing elk and mule deer. I have done one other high mountain hunt for a colorado mountain goat around 10 years ago, and I am very familiar with DIY backcountry hunting and what goes along with that. I know I need to get in 'sheep shape' and be ready to grind. With all of that said........

I would love for any and all suggestions on information of the mentioned units for sheep hunting, sheep behavior, movement, good vantage points, best ways to bowhunt sheep, best camping in area, first hand knowledge of the area, good books to read that would apply to this type of hunt and whatever else you can think of that would be helpful! I greatly appreciate all the help and any guidance on the unit and sheep hunting knowledge! I live around 3+hrs a way, so not close but not far either.

Fire away guys, I look forward to getting to know more of the folks here.

Thanks much, Onlythebow

I've hunted Bighorns in August, and I've hunted them in November in a low sheep numbers unit. You my friend, have a great chance to kill the best ram in the unit by far. The name of the game during that time frame is "EWEs". The key is to locate every little band you can and just watch them, and the rest will fall into place. I've never been in that unit, but it borders one of the best units in the state so it may worth looking over there.

Again, find the ewes, and keep tabs on them. If you find a band with no rams or none that you want, move to the next and just rotate. A giant will show up, and then its lift off.

PS........There is only one tag in there enjoy it. You will most likely never have a tag again that you, and you only, have the entire unit to yourself. I've had a tag like that before. Its surreal.

One last note, the sheep that time of year will most likely be on South facing slopes, so concentrate there. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about finding sheep through the summer. It has no bearing on your rut hunt really as sheep will be coming from miles to visit those ewes. If you can, try finding the biologist and see where the sheep tend to rut. Hell tell them you want to photograph them.

IanCOLO

FNG
How did the hunt go? I drew it this year and am starting to do as much research as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
onlythebow
Hey IanCOLO,
I was perusing the Sheep category for fun and did a double take on my old post....

Congrats to you and drawing the tag!

Send me a PM with your info and we can talk, I'd be happy to pass on all the help I can.

OTB

Last edited:
OP
onlythebow
And a 3 year belated thanks to Coveyleader, all his suggestions are SPOT on for this hunt...........I don't remember seeing his response 3 years ago either,,??? but I echo all of his guidance!