Colorado Shooting Locations

Maybe a shot in the dark but would anyone from Colorado be willing to PM me the location of any chunks of public land (or ranges that you like) that are good for target shooting and aren't too far off I70?

I'm from back east so won't be crowding your plinking spot (hence the request for PMs) but I'm just trying to find a good place to stop and check zero on our rifles after we fly in for our hunt this year. We won't get to the trailhead until dark so I'm hoping to find a convenient place on the way from the airport where we can safely confirm zero so if anyone has a spot they like that they wouldn't mind divulging via PM I'd greatly appreciate it.

I know there are fire restrictions in place in a lot of areas right now but hoping that's over by the time we get out there

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to recommend the Summit County Public range near Dillon. 5 minutes off if I-70. Unfortunately, it is closed due to fire risk.

With fire conditions this year, a lot of Coloradans would appreciate you not shooting in the Forest. Some counties have banned it already, so beware. The past few years the fire bans don’t get lifted even when it snows.

wildcat33

WKR
Check the Colorado parks and wildlife website for public shooting ranges. There are a bunch.

brsnow

WKR
Chest creek state park has a range, it is not free but it is open. Coming from the airport it would be not too far out of the way.

sndmn11

WKR
Chest creek state park has a range, it is not free but it is open. Coming from the airport it would be not too far out of the way.

That's a good suggestion with the Dillon range closed. Colorado Clays has a range as well.

Don't know where you are headed but we shot at 2 ranges just north of Rifle, CO and I-70. One was just a small 6 person public range and was free. The other was bigger and awesome, they had kids setting up your targets and helping you out. We gave a donation to help their club out. Sorry can't remember the name of either, but we googled them when in Rifle and they came right up. Very nice!!!!!

rickco

FNG
The Cameo range is one of the best in the country. Many pistol and rifle bays. Long-range steel. The sporting clays are a real challenge . A very safe range

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
The Cameo range is one of the best in the country. Many pistol and rifle bays. Long-range steel. The sporting clays are a real challenge . A very safe range

Looks awesome, unfortunately without the mudslide it's 4hrs away from the Denver area.