Colorado Snow melt and scouting

Not that it already hasn't been said, but there is a lot of snow up high. I went last week in CO to scout the OTC area i hunt. Kind of a wall of snow at 10k' - 10.5k' depending on slope face.

Unless you are strictly hunting at elevations higher than that, still worth a trip. Like others said, make the call first to be safe. I used it as an opportunity to look at a couple new areas that most people would drive past to go up high.

pnash17

FNG
I'd guess the animals haven't even moves back into the high areas so I would plan on scouting only to familiarize yourself with the area.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Picture 1 is Summit Peak (13k ft) in July 2017. Picture 2 is from the last week or so. Picture 3 is the summit of Mt Yale (14k ft) looking west on June 9, 2019 (yesterday). Remember that all this snow is going to end up in the creeks/streams/rivers, be very careful with any crossings.

I think 2017 was a high snow year also was it not? Or maybe just wasn’t in that area?

wiMR80h.jpg

k3iaesr45k331.jpg

qnguw6sx7r331.jpg

I was on the phone this morning (6\17) with one of the supervising district rangers inquiring about the road and snow conditions in the southcentral part of the state. I plan to hunt this area this year and I'm itching to get out and start scouting in early to mid-July. The feedback that I got was that many of the high country access roads are still under snow, flooded, or damaged. I was told that road openings may be pushed back other or closed indefinitely depending on the degree of washout and damage.