Colorado Success

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
After scouting all summer in sweat drenched t-shirts, the CO weather threw a wrench in our spokes opening day. I drew a nanny only tag and had spent several weekends in the northern portion of my unit finding multiple good nanny groups. Opening day started with fog and cold rain drizzle with no nannies in sight. We saw two very respectable billy's but the nanny kid groups seemed to be gone. We searched quickly between drainage's as the wind began to increase and the temperatures dropped. By mid day the cliffs disappeared into the oncoming storm and we were forced to retreat to the tent. We spent all afternoon peaking out through the door with less than 100 yards visibility. We woke the next morning to ice covered everything and somewhere in the 4" range of snow. We quickly decided to pack up camp and head down the little over a mile trail back to the truck. With snow still falling we headed towards the southern portion of the unit as access to the goat country is easier there. It didn't take us long to find a nanny group and come up with a plan to get to them. As easy as you can hike up a snow and ice covered 65 degree incline we made our way to 80 yards from the group. I was able to put two perfect shots on the nanny as I warned by several people that these animals bodies wont tell the brain that they are dying and to keep shooting until they are completely done. The snow helped protect her as she slid and rolled down towards us. The entire hunt was one to never forget and I can't wait to start the whole application process over again in 5 years and get back up in the cliffs. I also know now that the mountain goat is the fitness gift that keeps on giving. Between scouting and hunting I have never been in better physical shape, and as I enjoy the delicious meat my jaw will be as strong as ever chewing and tearing at the toughest game meat I have ever encountered. I was lucky enough to draw and harvest a B&C bull moose in CO last year with my bow and boy was I wrong when I thought that meat was tough. If anyone has any recipes or tricks to this goat meat I am all ears. 20200909_111852.jpgIMG_2497.jpg20200909_064528.jpg20200909_064533.jpg

Buy a jaccard meat tenderizer. I kept backstraps and tenderloins from my goat and everything else got ground into burger. I really liked MTN goat burger.
Congrats on the goat!
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Whtail101

FNG
After scouting all summer in sweat drenched t-shirts, the CO weather threw a wrench in our spokes opening day. I drew a nanny only tag and had spent several weekends in the northern portion of my unit finding multiple good nanny groups. Opening day started with fog and cold rain drizzle with no nannies in sight. We saw two very respectable billy's but the nanny kid groups seemed to be gone. We searched quickly between drainage's as the wind began to increase and the temperatures dropped. By mid day the cliffs disappeared into the oncoming storm and we were forced to retreat to the tent. We spent all afternoon peaking out through the door with less than 100 yards visibility. We woke the next morning to ice covered everything and somewhere in the 4" range of snow. We quickly decided to pack up camp and head down the little over a mile trail back to the truck. With snow still falling we headed towards the southern portion of the unit as access to the goat country is easier there. It didn't take us long to find a nanny group and come up with a plan to get to them. As easy as you can hike up a snow and ice covered 65 degree incline we made our way to 80 yards from the group. I was able to put two perfect shots on the nanny as I warned by several people that these animals bodies wont tell the brain that they are dying and to keep shooting until they are completely done. The snow helped protect her as she slid and rolled down towards us. The entire hunt was one to never forget and I can't wait to start the whole application process over again in 5 years and get back up in the cliffs. I also know now that the mountain goat is the fitness gift that keeps on giving. Between scouting and hunting I have never been in better physical shape, and as I enjoy the delicious meat my jaw will be as strong as ever chewing and tearing at the toughest game meat I have ever encountered. I was lucky enough to draw and harvest a B&C bull moose in CO last year with my bow and boy was I wrong when I thought that meat was tough. If anyone has any recipes or tricks to this goat meat I am all ears. View attachment 215419View attachment 215427View attachment 215420View attachment 215421
Congratulations. That’s a bucket list hunt.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
if its tough, just braise it low and slow...pot roast style. Did that with my goat from last year and it was amazingly tender and delicious. Congrats on a successful hunt!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Well done and paid off to know the unit so could bounce to another location that was productive. Good looking hair and nice horns. Nice write up! Great pictures.